Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Fusion to create flat patterns from formed sheet metal parts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dnickens
2155 Views, 2 Replies

Use Fusion to create flat patterns from formed sheet metal parts

I am curious about the differences between Inventor Fusion and the full verison.  I know that the full version of Inventor allows you to create a formed sheet metal part than create a calculated flat pattern.  Are you able to use Fusion in the same way?  If so, where can I find help walking me through that process?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
adsk_loren
in reply to: dnickens

Fusion does not have sheet metal functionality. It is a direct modeler, so it does not have a history, parameters or relations between features.

The decision to use Inventor or Fusion depends on your objectives. I prefer Fusion during the initial design phase because the lack of a history gives me a lot of flexibility. If I need a parametric part, I can use the Fusion model as a basis for creating the model in Inventor, otherwise I can use the Fusion model as is.

It is also great for making changes to existing parts. If I have to make a change to a released part, such as changing a hole pattern because a purchased component has changed, I can edit the model in Fusion and simply move the holes. I have had to repair a lot of models that blew up when making a simple change, so I really appreciate the ability to make a simple change.

It is also handy for making changes to imported models. It has a lot of tools for making complex changes, such as moving faces and edges, changing the angle of a face, and changing surface contours. You can also use it to simplify models for analysis. Again, you can blow away feaures and make other changes without causing downstream failures.

Direct modeling is a different paradigm. Depending on your parametric modeling experience, there is a learning curve and an adjustment period. I have used parametric modelers almost exclusively since the 90's, so it was disconcerting the first few times I changed a sketch and the feature didn't update.

Hope this helps,

Loren Jahraus
Inventor Fusion Subject Matter Expert
Message 3 of 3
je.delavega
in reply to: adsk_loren

Hello, I see your talking about inventor fusion, I am still very new with the software, so can you please explain the differences between inventor professional and inventor fusion when aiming to start from scratch on a new 3D model?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report