Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to shade or apply visual materials

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jneang
793 Views, 13 Replies

Unable to shade or apply visual materials

One day using fusion 2013 on osx (9). I am unable to get my drawing to shade. no matter what i do under options > material (physical or material). It will only show the wireframe. Attached screenshot. How do I get this back so I can add color / shades to make it a solid?

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.53.53 AM.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Phil.E
in reply to: jneang

Hi,

You need to set the view style to one that is Shaded. 

view options.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 14
Tommo730
in reply to: Phil.E

I have dowloaded Fusion for Mac today but I also have this problem. No matter which visual style I select it will not change from wireframe. If I select 'Realisic' the model dissapears altogether until another visual style is selected. I have even tried adding different materials etc to try and get the effect to work. I have also uninstalled and re-installed the software. Am I missing something more obvious or is there a problem?

Cheers, Tom

Message 4 of 14
Phil.E
in reply to: Tommo730

Apparently your material library is not installed or is corrupt.

• You should be on OSX 10.7.5 or greater.
  • Uninstall
  •         Clearing your cache files

1. ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk
                 2. $TMPDIR\Autodesk\BrowserCache

• Try again.

Or better yet, install Fusion 360. This is the latest version of Fusion and is greatly improved over Inventor Fusion for Mac.

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 14
Tommo730

Thank you very much, I shall try Fusion 360 🙂
Message 6 of 14
Tommo730

Ok I having tried Fusion 360 its not quite what I am looking for.

I have tried removing and re-installing Inventor Fusion for Mac however I still have the same issue. It will not viualise any surface, colour or material. It only shows Wireframe, even if you attempt to change the visualisation options. If you try to shade without lines, or select realistic, the model dissapears completely. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am struggling to find a powerful 3d Cad program for Mac

Message 7 of 14
Phil.E

If you are on a MacBook you should ensure that your energy saver settings are allowing use of the video card while on battery. That setting is Higher Performance.

Just curious, was there anything in particular about Fusion 360 you didn't like?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 14
Tommo730

Thanks for your reply, I've checked the settings in the Energy Saver section of the System Preferances, but there is nothing there to check whether the video card is activated - Ive never had any other issues and the laptop is rarely run on battery power alone.

With regards to Fusion 360,there's nothing about it I didnt like as such, its just I prefer to use a standalone peice of design software, there are more functions than I would probably ever use. 

After watching the videos of Inventor Fusion in action I'd love to get to use it fully but at the moment I'm stuggling with this frustrating issue. 

Cheers,

Tom

Message 9 of 14
Tommo730

Also, you may be able to see here, that if you have the model selected, the 2 material buttons seem to be inactive - if you go in the materials menu and select a material or colour it has no effect.

Message 10 of 14
Phil.E

Do you by chance have AutoCAD or any other Autodesk products installed on this machine?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 14
Tommo730

Yes I had Autocad for Mac installed up until last night - I removed it to see if there was a conflict, however since removing it there has been no change

Message 12 of 14
Phil.E

Sorry for all the back and forth, we'll get you running! I think we are getting closer.

Because of ACAD, there may be some library folders remaining, and that is where a conflict may be causing trouble.

Here is what I would like you to try:

1. Move (temporarily) /Library/Autodesk/ADSKAssetLibrary to another directory.  Try to run Fusion.  Does it fix the problem?  If not, try the following:

2. Move (temporarily) /Applications/Autodesk/Materials to another directory.  Try to run Fusion. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 14
Tommo730

No thank you! I appreciate your help!

I've just done as you've advised, but the result is still the same. Could the issue be that I am downloading it from the Apple App store? Is there anywhere else I can dowload the software from?

Message 14 of 14
Phil.E

Just to be clear: what you describe perfectly fits this scenario -

• You had AutoCAD on your machine.
  • You installed Inventor Fusion for Mac.
  • None of the bodies show any materials, just wire frame.

In our understanding, this is due to confusion about the path to the material library. Fusion will "find" the ACAD library first, and then not be able to use it properly.

1. After renaming the ACAD material library, re-start Fusion (important step).
  2. It should "skip" the ACAD library and "find" the Fusion material library.

Can you please confirm that you:

a) found the folder shown in the image below

b) renamed it

c) restarted Fusion

rename_this.png

The only other advice I have is to run Fusion 360 in roughly the same mode as Inventor Fusion for Mac. You can set Fusion 360 to appear and perform essentially the same, with only a few more tools than what you see in Inventor Fusion.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report