Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to merge two faces- HELP!!

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
sean.s.rafferty
6531 Views, 7 Replies

Unable to merge two faces- HELP!!

Trying to merge two faces that were at one point in the design process two separate faces, and through tweaking one face to meet the other face it left a line on the face where they should have healed as one face. Dimensions are equal, there is no "step" or difference in elevation for either face, but I can not for the life of me get rid of the lines that separate the two faces. 

I have used the merge feature to attempt to merge them, however it will not let me select the faces or click "OK". I'm hoping that there's a really simple solution here- can anyone help? 

Problem lines are selected in the image below, shown in blue:

2012-05-01 07.01.45 pm.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Can you select the face and delete it?

large.png

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 8

I can, but it doesn't heal into one face like you'd expect. Instead it just deletes the face and leaves a hole:

2012-05-02 06.31.02 pm.png

And same story if I delete the other face:

2012-05-02 06.40.48 pm.png

If i delete both faces it leaves the line:

2012-05-02 06.46.45 pm.png

Still can't create a single face from the two faces here- HELP!!!

Message 4 of 8

Switch to the "Solids" workspace and try the delete again. Workspaces can change behavior of some commands and delete when in the surface command does a delete where it will open the solid into a surface when it removes the face.

Delete in the solids workspace does a delete and will heal the gap.

While we are at it... If you could post the model here we could take a closer look and give you some other ideas. 

Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 8

If I do that, it removes large porions of my model, and does not just delete the face and heal to combine into one surface:

If I delete the small surface the geopmetry that existed in the red square is deleted with it:

2012-05-04 02.12.20 am.png

Same if I delete the larger surface, although more of the model is deleted along with this surface:

2012-05-04 02.11.15 am.png

Cannot provide model for patent/copyright reasons.

Message 6 of 8

OK.

...Here is a workaround. It is not pretty but should work.

1. From the face with the unwanted seam create an offset workplane 1mm away into the open slot.

2. Create a sketch on this workplane.

3. Project the boundary of the single face you want to create.

4. Extrude the profile from this boundary 2mm into the model, choose join.

5. Delete/hide the work plane.

6. Using press pull, move the new face -1 so that it is now in the correct position.

Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 8
schneik-adsk
in reply to: schneik-adsk

I should also say that in a future update this will be MUCH easier to deal with, and hopefully won't happen in the first place.

Kevin Schneider
Message 8 of 8

Perfect- that worked!! So until an update comes out addressing this, projecting the surface, trimming the unwanted lines, press-pulling and then re-merging the shape back to the model works. Indeed, a few more steps than desired, but gets me out of this dead end! Thanks!!

2012-05-04 06.17.22 pm.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report