Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble opening DWG file in Inventor Fusion for Mac

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Todd412
1554 Views, 3 Replies

Trouble opening DWG file in Inventor Fusion for Mac

I downloaded a model I would like to import into my Inventor Fusion project.  Unfortunately, the model was not available in any formats supported natively by Inventor Fusion.  

So I downloaded the .3ds version of the model and opened it in 3d Studio Max, then exported it as a DWG.  I then tested this file by re-opening it in 3ds max, and it looked just like the original .3ds file.  

However, when I open the DWG file in Inventor Fusion on mac, there is something very wrong with it.  It appears all the objects have been imported, but they are all "empty" -- each contains only an Origin.  

I have attached the DWG file, the original .3DS file, as well as screenshots of what the DWG file looks like in 3ds max, and what it looks like in Inventor Fusion for mac.    

I would appreciate it if someone could explain what I'm doing wrong.

I am also curious if someone could suggest a better way of importing files into Inventory Fusion-- I am  shocked at how few file formats Fusion supports!  It seems virtually all of the most common formats, including .dxf and .obj, are not supported.  Is this something that will be fixed in the future?  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Todd412

The file is 6234 faceted surfaces.  Is this what you really want?
The glass part of the bulb could be modeled with a simple (and smooth) revolve rather tha facetes.

Faceted Surfaces.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
JDMather

@Todd412 wrote:

I am  shocked at how few file formats Fusion supports!

I was able to open the file in the full version of Inventor and stitch to solids.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
Phil.E

Most CAD sharing sites offer either SAT or STEP, those are the most common and  preferred generic formats for 3D.

3Ds can export as SAT. Fusion opens SAT. Have you tried that?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report