Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slicing cylinder

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
azadani
1402 Views, 3 Replies

Slicing cylinder

Hi All,

I'm an absolute CAD newbie, and downloaded Inventor Fusion 2013 (free edition) to use with my 3D printer.

To my surprise, while the printer is fun it's the CAD designing that I'm loving.

I've worked out stuff I never thought I could, but I'm stumped with one thing in particular...

I want to slice off and remove totally a corner section of a solid cylinder.

I've been trying going to the end in a 2D view, drawing an edge then using the angle plane function to set up where I want to cut (-55 degrees).

Then I have been trying to use the split function, which seems to split it (it leaves a line around the cylinder side that joins the line I drew on the 2D face) but I can't seem to remove the unwanted material.

Everything I've tried has left me with the "stop sign" or has deleted the line around the cylinder.

Would someone please be kind enough to show me an absolute "inventor fusion 2013 for dummies", blow by blow newbie special way to do this.

It's not like I haven't spent days trying or haven't searched the internet top to bottom, I have, but it can be difficult as all instruction seems to assume you are already proficient on CAD.

I must say that I'm shocked how satisfying what I've learn't already is, and plan to learn as much as I can.

Cheers in advance for any help offered.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Phil.E
in reply to: azadani

Hi! Glad you're having fun with Fusion!

You've found the correct tool: Split

1. When selecting your Split Target hover over an edge of the cylinder. Notice how the entire body highlights.
  2. When making selections, picking just the face will Split the face, picking near an edge to get the body highlight will select the body.
  3. Once the body is split you can delete or turn off visibility of the extra material.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 4
azadani
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Phil,

Thanks very much for that.

I'm getting that far, but can't seem to delete the unwanted portion.

It just deletes my split line across the cylinder and leaves me with the axis line I drew across the face, which puts me back to square one.

If you could please explain that step in click by click noob speak it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil.

Message 4 of 4
Phil.E
in reply to: azadani

After you split the body there will be two bodies. One is shown in the image as "Solid". The other is shown as "Component2".

After you decide which to delete, right click on it in the browser and use the Delete command.

split and delete.PNG

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report