Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened Inventor 2012 IPT, no sketches

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
russ
1056 Views, 4 Replies

Opened Inventor 2012 IPT, no sketches

I have a fairly complex ipt file created with Inventor 2012 for Windows.  It opened successfully but it doesn't seem to contain any sketches.  Is this expected behavior?  Is there a way to fix this?

-Russ
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Phil.E
in reply to: russ

Fusion does not import Inventor sketches, only bodies.

Are you using Inventor Fusion for Mac?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
russ
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Phil,

Yes, I'm using Inventor Fusion for Mac, importing from Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012 on Windows.  I'm wondering how useful the import is if I lose my sketches.  It seems I would not be able to modify the drawing in Fusion for the Mac if the sketches are gone.  Am I missing something?

Either way, I'm just so glad to have a product of this level avalable on the Mac.  I'm one program away from No More Windows.  🙂

-Russ
Message 4 of 5
Phil.E
in reply to: russ

Thanks for using Fusion on the Mac!

Fusion is a direct modeler, rather than parametric like Inventor. The two products, despite both being 3D modelers, are intended to work completely differently, each solving problems according to it's strengths. 

In Inventor your sketch drives the shape: Edit the sketch, the shape is rebuilt with the changes. This is done with parameters: saved numerical input, to put it simply. Fusion, by being a direct modeler allows trouble free direct editing. Just grab a face and move it where you want. No parametric relationships to navigate or failed "down-browser" features.

So to answer your concern about editing in Fusion: try out the Press-pull or Tweak faces commands!

As for moving off of windows: Have you seen the Fusion 360 site? This is the next step for Fusion and it's in beta right now. Have a look! (feel free to sign up for the beta)

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
russ
in reply to: Phil.E

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the most excellent answer.  I hadn't really understood the fundamental difference between the two approaches, but you made it clear.  It then makes sense not to import sketches.  I assume I could have built exactly the same model at least as easily (relatively) in Fusion as in Inventor.  Great!

I'll take a closer look at Fusion 360.  Anything that gets me further from Windows is a plus.

-Russ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report