Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Macbook Pro Retina compatibility? Random beachballs of death...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dbgerull
967 Views, 4 Replies

New Macbook Pro Retina compatibility? Random beachballs of death...

Hi,

I am trying to use Inventor Fusion for Mac to create some simple parts and I get the spinning beach ball of death at random times into working with the part.  Simple sketches only, just lines and circles.   I get 30 minutes or so in to recreating the part and then I get the beachball, then the Autodesk error reporting window... then I have to start over again.

I am using OS X 10.8.1 on a 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16mb of ram, 768Gb SSD (all stock Apple).  I am also driving a 30" external Apple Cinema display but the problems also occur if I do not use the external display.  I am doing this while all other software is off (except for Dropbox but the file I am creating is not in a Dropbox folder). I can work around using a mac mini I have which has not given me the problem so far but I would sure like to use my more powerful machine and not have to change my desk setup to use Inventor Fusion.  

I like Inventor Fusion a lot I assume it is trial software for a more featured mac program for sale in the future?  Thanks for any hints or tips!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
bentwookie
in reply to: dbgerull

As seen here and their App Store reviews, a bunch of us with Retina MBP's seem to be having similar problems. I went a half hour this time before crashing and ending up with a corrupted file 😞 A new record!

I hope they fix this soon. 

Message 3 of 5
Mike.Zhang
in reply to: bentwookie

Thanks your information.

We will analyze this issue, and try to fix it in next version.

Regards,

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 5
dbgerull

Thanks.  If I had to guess as to what the problem was it seems like  it occurs mostly when commands don't process quickly and get queued up and the software gets confused trying to process them in sequence.

I am a (very) new user and basic stuff such as selecting an edge and then using orbit to move around and select another edge can cause problems.  The instruction materials don't explain very basic interface guidelines such as how to select, orbit, select again so I end up trying left/right/center clicks and notice the infamous beachball most often shows up after such random clicking.  After selecting an edge and then picking orbit, I guess that middle (scroll wheel) should get me out of orbit and back into the select but I am guessing and so may end up with a few extra clicks that then leads to a beachball.  

I try to save the file and rename the current workspace to something new before trying anything that takes time as the problem is particularly nasty when it not only crashes but also corrupts the file.

On a related note, Pre-loading the "Save As" field with the current filename would help as well as then I could save versions quickly (as 1, 2, 3, etc.).  Right now the field is blank so saving backup files in case of crash/corruption also takes a lot of typing.

Cheers.  Still a good program for the price. 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Mike.Zhang

This issue should be fixed now.

Could you try it on the latest build?

You can install it from below link:

http://adsk-streamingdeploy-beta.elasticbeanstalk.com/install/app/73e72ada57b7480280f7a6f4a289729f/

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report