Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to import a DXF or STL file?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jvbeach37
1772 Views, 3 Replies

Is there any way to import a DXF or STL file?

I have been doing 3D graphics for awhile and this is my first venture into CAD.  I have many DXF files created by Strata Design 3D and Poser and would love to import those files.  I know I can't do this directly.  Are there any plug ins or converters I could use?  I am also surprised that fusion can export STL files but can not import them.  How can I import a STL file?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SallyYang
in reply to: jvbeach37

Thanks for your feedback, we will consider it in future releases. Currently there is no tool for convertion.

Regards,
Sally

Sally Yang
Software QA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 4
fredhag
in reply to: jvbeach37

Just to add another user for weight on the requet, STL has become a very popular format.  It might not be very robust but several repositories use it for sharing designs.  In fact, it's not worth picking up Inventor Fusion without that feature becasue I would need to use another tool for conversion and might as well use that one for the design work.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 4
schneik-adsk
in reply to: fredhag

STL files are polygon/faceted models. You can use a polygon modeler on them but these are not solid modelers.

Fusion is a solid modeler.  There are some tools to convert stl to solid but you fill find round features difficult to work with. 

This is due to the fact that a facet modeler has to represent curved faces as flat triangle faces.

If you feel a polygon modeler is a better solution I can understand, but you will lose the power and precision of solids modeling that Fusion offers.

Kevin Schneider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report