Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor fusion mac crashes trying to open saved files

59 REPLIES 59
SOLVED
Message 1 of 60
tbabcock123
5278 Views, 59 Replies

inventor fusion mac crashes trying to open saved files

RAM: 16 GB ram

either double clicking the file or calling it from the 'recent files' panel will cause the 'rainbow wheel of death' and the application crashes - makes the application useless.

59 REPLIES 59
Message 2 of 60

Would you please share any simple data that can reproduce this issue with us? We'll do some investigation.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Inventor Fusion QA Team

Message 3 of 60

i'm attaching an archive of two files, neither of which i can open (though they were created with my copy of inventor fusion).  they cause the program to crash.

Message 4 of 60
EddieDraaisma
in reply to: tbabcock123

The same problem here on a Macbook Pro Retina. The files open fine however on the iMac. Both are running Mountain Lion.

Message 5 of 60

Thank you for all the information! We're tracking this issue right now and will try to provide a solution in the future.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Inventor Fusion QA Team

Message 6 of 60

For what it's worth, here is a very simple save file I can't open anymore without crashing. I don't know if it's related, but I was having a really tough time with sketch dimensions that 1) I couldn't select 2) were affecting the constraints of my model anyway. I accidentally saved while I was in this situation and after that, I couldn't open the file. 

Message 7 of 60

Thanks for your sharing! All the information and the dataset are valuable for us to track it down and work out a solution.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Inventor Fusion QA Team

Message 8 of 60
jpmurph7

I have experienced the same issue, several times. It seems to happen once fusion crashes while working on the file. Once I close, send error report, reopen fusion, reopen file I was just working on >>> spinning beach-ball crash.

It seems like the file is somehow corrupted. It even changes the thumbnail preview of the file type on my desktop here  (not working file is on the right)

I have deleted and reinstalled inventor fusion 3 times, which has not helped. 

OS X 10.7.4 8GB of Ram

Message 9 of 60
jdzike936
in reply to: jpmurph7

THNKS FIOR SHARING

read more about dessert recipes
Message 10 of 60
Wintaru

Mine is crashing too, I'm trying to select a surface to draw a line off of.  Actually most commands that I try seem to crash the application now.  Attached is the drawing file and crash report.

It seems like it's trying to do something graphics related, or at least if I let the spinning beachball of death continue to spin rather than force quit it, that part of the Mac gets hot and the fans start up.

I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro 17" model with the Radeon 6750m.  The other system specs are:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3

Intel Core i7 2.2ghz

4GB RAM

180gb Intel SSD 520

Let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful for you.

Edit: Apparently your forums don't allow files with f3d extensions, so when you download OfficeShelf.txt, rename the extension to .f3d to open it.

Message 11 of 60
charlene936
in reply to: Wintaru

Message 12 of 60
matthiastrav410

Message 13 of 60
dbgerull

Have the same problem.  Making some relatively simple parts to try out 3D printing and after I put a few fillets around everything the two files I was working on give me the spinning beachball of death after saving and trying to restart later.

Was very worried as I put some time into the parts (learning mostly) and thought everything may be gone as the problem is repeatable.  My work was being done on a 2.7Ghz i7 macbook pro 15" retina display with 16gb memory, 768Gb SSD and driving a 30" cinema display.  Luckily I have a mac mini with considerably less power/memory and it is able to open the files so I am not up the creek totally.

Any tips very appreciated, I would like to use my macbook as it is much more powerful than the mini but it just won't open the files it saves after a certain point.  Cheers.

Message 14 of 60
Mike.Zhang

Thanks for sharing this file, we'll  analyze your model, then try to find the reasons.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mike.Zhang
SQA Engineer
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 60
hugo.salinas

Same problem here. I was working on a project, when i came back latter that day and reopend it i was unable to open it without inventer crashing. I have a MAC retina. I wont complain because it is free software and **** good software at that! no hate. but a fix would be awesome. 

Message 16 of 60
saltsaint

Great that you are searching for a solution to fix this.

Fact is that IF for Mac is unusable on my machine because of this crashes...

Message 17 of 60
cbrinke1

I too am seeing consistent crashes (especially when opening a saved file). I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on my 8GB MacBook Pro w/retina display. The crashes only occur when opening .f3d files. If I export the models to .step .stp or .sat files they open fine. Additionally if I try to open the .f3d file that _doesn't_ work on my retina laptop with my wifes Mac Mini (running Lion) it opens fine as well. I have submitted a fair amount of bugs through the always appearing crash dialog 🙂

I have attached a quick model I created on my laptop that will crash Fusion every time I try to open it. I also have attached a .sat file that was exported from the original model (while I was creating it) that opens without issue but is missing dimension info. Since the forums webapp here won't allow them named as such, I have appended .txt to the file name. 

Thanks,

Chris 

Message 18 of 60
Sferril

Fusion was saving and opening successfully on 10.7 Lion.  The first 5-10 files I made work fine, but anything I save now will not open again.  A lot of work simply lost if they can't be resurrected.  I'm on a mac 5,2.  Attached a new file that was saved but won't open again.

Thanks,

sf

Message 19 of 60
Sferril
in reply to: Sferril

I moved to a newer desktop, same operating system (10.7.5) and downloaded the app.  It opened the file without a problem.  It is a MacPro Desktop 5,5.  I'll see if it eventually has the same issue.

Thanks, sf

Message 20 of 60
horfee

Hi,

Same problem : with a very simple file (5 little box with joints), the software is crashing  when loading the file (the software freezes without giving up the control)

I could provide 3 files that make it crash.

I am running on a Mac Book Pro 2011, Mac OS X 10.8.2, 8Gb of RAM.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report