Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to patch this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
504 Views, 5 Replies

How to patch this?

It might be second nature for you "seasoned" fusioniers, but I need some help with this.  How would you go about patching this so that it is one surface?  I need it to look like this when done.

2013-08-23_2151.png

I have a much more complicated part that I am working on.  Hopefully I can apply the same methods used to patch this.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Phil.E
in reply to: karthur1

While it may be possible to patch that cutout, my first thought was to rebuild the surface entirely.

See the attached image. There is an edge and a circular reference available.

1. Start the Revolve command
  2. Select the edge
  3. Pick "Axis" and select the semicircle edge
  4. Drag the manipulator arrow, it will snap at 90°
  5. Delete the original surface body

rebuild_the_revolve.png

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: Phil.E

Phil,

I appreciate the response, but like I said, I am working on a much more complicated part.  On the more complicated part, rebuilding it is not as simple as my example.I will just post my problem part here so you can see what I mean.  Maybe there is a simply way to repair this.

If you look at this part.  You will see several places around the perimeter that has a void/cutout in them.  Is there a way to repair these voids?

Thanks

2013-08-26_1349.png

Message 4 of 6
Phil.E

You are correct, this is a complicated part.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to repair those voids perfectly. It may be work for a more robust surface modeling tool. Lofting with rails should be a good strategy. Delete the affected faces and replace them entirely. I could not get Inventor Fusion to loft sufficiently to achieve this.

Is the original data available? If this came from a parametric modeler it may be possible to "turn off" some of these features prior to exporting this surface.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: Phil.E

The data file that was supplied to me is a solidwks file.  Of course, when I bring that into Inventor there is no way to turn off the feature.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
JDMather

@karthur1 wrote:

The data file that was supplied to me is a solidwks file.  Of course, when I bring that into Inventor there is no way to turn off the feature.

Thanks.

Inventor or Inventor Fusion?

If Inventor, what do you mean by "...no ay to turn off the feature?"

I would look at the Extract Loop command in Inventor to see if the original untrimmed surface geometry could be recovered.  Can you zip and attach the original SWx file (in the Inventor forum of course)?

Edit:  I was able to open your dwg file in Inventor and untrim (Extract Loop) the surfaces.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report