Contributor tom
Contributor
tom
Message 11 of 17 (1,098 Views)

Re: Help! Importing .DWG Files in Inventor Doesn't Work For Me

09-13-2012 09:44 PM in reply to: Macro.Liu_Autodesk

Hello Marco:

Thank you for your reply once again, but:

Even though I downloaded my previous version of Inventor Fusion only one week ago, I uninstalled it (along with the Autodesk DWG plug-in that came with it) before I downloaded the latest version from the link you provided.

When I launched the Autodesk_Inventor_Fusion_2013_Win_32bit.exe installer, I did not see the Inventor Fusion plug-in option that was on the screenshot that you provided - only the Autodesk Inventor Fusion 2013 was there.

Now, I have the latest version that still has the same problem (I tested it twice just to be sure) and I also noticed that now I don't have the Autodesk DWG plug-in that I removed before installing the latest version from your link.

Can you provide a solution as to why this is happening?

Thank you.
Tom

Employee
Macro.Liu_Autodesk
Message 12 of 17 (1,095 Views)

09-13-2012 11:04 PM in reply to: tom

Hi Tom,

That's my fault. I thought there would be a plug-in for AutoCAD in that installer, while it turns out that's not the case. My apologize!

Are you still able to get the previous installer(contains the plug-in for AutoCAD)? If yes, you can just run to install the plug-in again, and then please share a video of what you did with me. I'll look into that.

You can attach it here or mail to me at: LiangDOTLiu@autodeskDOTcom directly if you want.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Inventor Fusion QA Team

Contributor tom
Contributor
tom
Message 13 of 17 (1,088 Views)

09-14-2012 08:46 AM in reply to: Macro.Liu_Autodesk

Hello, Marco!

Thank you again for sticking with me through this problem. I really appreciate it.

Well, I am glad that is was not something I did wrong. Unfortunately, no, I don't have the previous installer. Would it be possible if you were to email that plug-in directly to me or post it here?

I will send you a copy of this post with my email included.

As for posting a video, I don;t have the software to make videos so I can't send you one, unfortunately.

Thank you!
Tom

Contributor tom
Contributor
tom
Message 14 of 17 (1,075 Views)

09-16-2012 07:47 PM in reply to: tom

Thanks to your help in your email to me, my problem has been solved.

Thank you very much, Maro!  :smileyhappy:

mwittendorp
Message 15 of 17 (1,065 Views)

09-18-2012 06:10 AM in reply to: tom

Hello Maro or Tom,

I got the same problem, maybe you can post the solution here?

Thank you

Martijn

Contributor tom
Contributor
tom
Message 16 of 17 (1,062 Views)

09-18-2012 07:45 AM in reply to: mwittendorp

Hi Martijn:

I have tried to attached a video that Marco was kind enough to email to me but unfortunately it is in a .SWF format and for some bizarre reason, this forum can't accept that file type. Maybe if you contact Marco, he can send it to you.

But here are the steps that are shown in the video:

If you open your DWG file in AutoCAD:

1. select the shape

2. COPY the shape to your clipboard

3. Go to Inventor Fusion

4. Choose the Create New Sketch command

5. Then paste the shape  and it should appear.

I didn't do step number 4. (Create New Sketch) and because of that, when I pasted the shape into a totally blank Inventor Fusion window, nothing appeared for me.

In every other software application I have used, if you paste something that is on your clipboard, it will appear but that isn't the case with Inventor Fusion.

Maybe there is some reason that the tech people have set it up this way but it was quite frustrating that you have to go through this very non-intuative step to paste something.

I hope this helps, Martijn. Good luck!

Employee
Macro.Liu_Autodesk
Message 17 of 17 (1,057 Views)

09-18-2012 07:36 PM in reply to: tom

The size of the video is a little large for the forum and it can't be attached here.

While you should be able to do that if you follow the 5 steps in Tom's reply. And as indicated by Tom, 'Create New Sketch' is a key step here. This is to ensure you to copy the objects to the plane you want.

Thanks,

Macro Liu

Inventor Fusion QA Team

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.