Inventor Fusion

Contributor
messt14
Message 1 of 4 (181 Views)

Grounded Bodies

181 Views, 3 Replies
07-15-2009 03:52 AM
I am unable to apply constraints because every body and component I create is grounded. How do I change this property?
Employee
jeff.strater
Message 2 of 4 (181 Views)

Re: Grounded Bodies

07-15-2009 07:41 AM in reply to: messt14
Can you explain a bit further what you are seeing in Fusion? How are you determining that the components and/or bodies are grounded? I'm pretty sure that Fusion doesn't ever ground components.

Just for clarification: There are two types of constraints in Fusion: Body Constraints (for driving the shape of a body), and Component Constraints (for positioning components). If you are trying to do assembly-type constraints, be sure that Component Constraints are selected (see attached picture).

Thanks,

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
Contributor
messt14
Message 3 of 4 (181 Views)

07-15-2009 08:22 AM in reply to: messt14
When I select a component to constrain, an anchor glyph appears. Tool tip says item is grounded. See attached.
Employee
jeff.strater
Message 4 of 4 (181 Views)

07-15-2009 08:34 AM in reply to: messt14
Oh, I see. Thanks for the quick response.

That icon and tooltip are very misleading (thank you for pointing this out). What it is trying to communicate is that, when you constrain two components, we temporarily ground the first so that the second moves to the first, instead of vice-versa. The components are not persistently grounded. You can actually go ahead and pick the second component at this point, and it all should work fine.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!