Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4
RogerTheShrubber
575 Views, 3 Replies

Grounded Bodies

I am unable to apply constraints because every body and component I create is grounded. How do I change this property?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Can you explain a bit further what you are seeing in Fusion? How are you determining that the components and/or bodies are grounded? I'm pretty sure that Fusion doesn't ever ground components.

Just for clarification: There are two types of constraints in Fusion: Body Constraints (for driving the shape of a body), and Component Constraints (for positioning components). If you are trying to do assembly-type constraints, be sure that Component Constraints are selected (see attached picture).

Thanks,

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 4

When I select a component to constrain, an anchor glyph appears. Tool tip says item is grounded. See attached.
Message 4 of 4

Oh, I see. Thanks for the quick response.

That icon and tooltip are very misleading (thank you for pointing this out). What it is trying to communicate is that, when you constrain two components, we temporarily ground the first so that the second moves to the first, instead of vice-versa. The components are not persistently grounded. You can actually go ahead and pick the second component at this point, and it all should work fine.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report