Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
enfiel3d
558 Views, 2 Replies

General concept

I'm trying to figure out the general concept of modelling in Fusion.

In traditional workflow, most of the dimensions (dimensions that define shape, not drawing annotations) are placed in sketch and for construction planes - that is the principal dimensioning stage. The features then simply adhere to them.

In Fusion I am a bit confused about the dimensioning stage. When and how the dimensions get apllied? Could you give some general explanations?

By the way, what concept lies behind making TP2 available only in certain countries? I can't try it because of that. It's a bit dirty practice, to call a spade a spade.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jeff_strater
in reply to: enfiel3d

I can try to help to explain the first issue.

The general concept of Fusion is one of "direct modeling", or "non-parametric modeling", as opposed to traditional, parametric, history-based modeling. In non-parametric modeling, there is no model compute, no feature rollback, etc. All operations occur on the final state of the model. In Fusion, this model also extends to sketching. That is, Fusion does not capture sketch dimensions in a persistent manner. That's why there is no "Create Dimension" command in the sketch environment. Instead, Fusion applies temporary dimensions to sketch entities that are selected, while a sketch is active. These dimensions can be edited to precisely position/size the geometry. However, they are not permanent constraints on the model. The sketch geometry is updated, and subsequent changes may then cause those dimensions to be violated, or the user can drag sketch geometry to violate those dimensions. To keep sketch geometry in its current position, you can use the "lock/unlock geometry" command.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 3
enfiel3d
in reply to: enfiel3d

So what should I do to define part's dimensions? Should I simply drag its edges and planes along, or apply dimensions outside of sketch environment by using 'dimensions' tool?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report