Inventor Fusion

Contributor
frankwu
Message 1 of 15 (1,676 Views)
Accepted Solution

Equivalent of Loft in Inventor Fusion?

1676 Views, 14 Replies
05-04-2012 10:28 AM

I am trying to create a shape (Image B) that perfectly fills the space between two rectangles on perpendicular planes (image A) in Inventor Fusion.

I know if I were using Inventor I could use Loft, but I can't figure out the equivalent in Inventor Fusion. 

I can do it crudely (image C) by 1. creating a plane between 2 parallel lines; 2. drawing a segmented LINE (Red box) on that plane; and 3. PATCHING the segmented line to make a facet.  Then repeat with other facets.

The problem, though, is that the LINE does not SNAP to the corner of one of the rectangles - so the corner of the new facet I'm creating isn't perfectly aligned to the corner of the existing rectangle (which has to fit with other shapes).  This creates sloppy geo.  If I could get a line to SNAP to a corner of a rectangle, I could use this workaround.

But... is there a simpler, easier, more accurate way to do this in Inventor Fusion?

(Also, I am using 443.1.0 (or so says the "About Inventor Fusion".)

Question XXX 2.jpg

Thanks for your help.

And my condolences to all other Yankees fans out there.

Yes, this is not so fun today.  To address your current workflow problem (until we get loft) you can use project command in the sketch menu to project the points from one sketch to another, this then lets you precisely snap to them.

Thanks for your patience while we work on getting loft into a future update.

Board Manager
schneik
Message 2 of 15 (1,663 Views)

Re: Equivalent of Loft in Inventor Fusion?

05-07-2012 03:14 PM in reply to: frankwu

Yes, this is not so fun today.  To address your current workflow problem (until we get loft) you can use project command in the sketch menu to project the points from one sketch to another, this then lets you precisely snap to them.

Thanks for your patience while we work on getting loft into a future update.

Kevin Schneider

13" Macbook Pro Retina - OSX 10.10.1 in Portland, Oregon

Contributor
frankwu
Message 3 of 15 (1,655 Views)

05-08-2012 09:25 AM in reply to: schneik

Thanks for your reply, Kevin.  I very much appreciate it.  I will try to use project command.  I did, however, figure out a workaround, which is to important the Inventor Fusion model into Inventor and then use the LINE tool to snap a line between points, and then use the PATCH tool to fill in the polygon.  So that worked.

I do want to report another weird crashy thing in Inventor Fusion.  There are two particular co-planar and adjacent rectangles and whenever I click on either one (to select it as a plane to define more rectangles), Inventor Fusion beachballs.  The beachball spins for 5 minutes until I force-quit and restart the program.  Repeat several times and it doesn't help.  Rebooting the computer (17-in MacBook) doesn't help.  Going back to an earlier version of the file doesn't help.  Sometimes clicking on other rectangles to select as a plane also causes crash.  Now avoiding those killer rectangles.  Oh well.  Workaround is obviously to build other rectangles elsewhere, but I thought I'd report it.

Overall, I have to say that Inventor Fusion is a joy to work with, and really easy.  I LOVE the fact that there is such a small number of menu options that it's easy enough to simply go through all the options and click on each one.  Hmmm... COMBINE? I've never used that before.  I wonder what it does - WOW!  It does exactly what you'd think it would do, and easy, too.  Thanks, Inventor Fusion. 

Years ago when I trying to learn Maya, I was completely overwhelmed with option anxiety and button overload.  I just couldn't remember where any of the commands were.  And I asked my wife Brianna if there was a simpler program wherein you could just do modeling (so there weren't all those pesky and confusing animation commands).  She said no, and I was sad.  But now there is, and everything's good again.

Matt432
Message 4 of 15 (1,218 Views)

04-22-2013 06:52 PM in reply to: schneik

Any idea when Loft will be joining us?!  

Thanks for your replies.

p.von.frankenberg
Message 5 of 15 (973 Views)

09-18-2013 03:19 PM in reply to: schneik

Thought I'd bump this thread to see what the Loft function in IF for Mac is doing. This thread is more than a year old and there still seems to be no signs of one? unless I am too blind to see it?

Also, why are there no Polygon options in IF? I have to draw a hexagonal screw head line by line by hand. I don't understand. These are some of the most used tools.

Any replies would be very appreciated.

Board Manager
Phil.E
Message 6 of 15 (963 Views)

09-19-2013 11:49 AM in reply to: frankwu

Thanks for your feedback. These are currently limitations in Inventor Fusion for Mac.

Have you seen Fusion 360? It too runs on Mac and has many more features. Have a look!

Here are some links to videos and the user gallery.

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/resources

http://fusion360.autodesk.com/gallery

Thanks,

HP EliteBook 8560w Win 7
13" MacBook Pro, mid 2009 OS X 10.8.4
Portland, Oregon

Phil Eichmiller
Software QA Engineer
Fusion Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.

alex.becker
Message 7 of 15 (650 Views)

02-20-2014 05:33 PM in reply to: schneik

So I may be a couple years too late to respond to this forum but it's now 2014 and I've yet to see a loft function in the Mac version of Inventor Fusion. I use Inventor because of school; of course my school is al windows based opperating systems, and my family is anti-pc. Is there something I am missing. I would expect it to be under the "solid" drop down. I would have also expected that this pronelm would have been resolved within the two years that this was originally answered. Any help would be great, because I have to constently use this program for homework.

Thanks

Board Manager
Phil.E
Message 8 of 15 (639 Views)

02-21-2014 08:01 AM in reply to: frankwu

Alex,

Have you considered using Fusion 360? I think you'll find the features you want there!

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

jeffjvick
Message 9 of 15 (602 Views)

02-27-2014 12:20 AM in reply to: Phil.E
Phil,

I just installed Fusion 360 on a mac and I do not see the loft feature under model -> create. Am I missing something?

Jeff
Board Manager
Phil.E
Message 10 of 15 (596 Views)

02-27-2014 10:02 AM in reply to: jeffjvick

Loft is not currently supported for history based modeling. 

When you start a new file, use Direct Modeling rather than Capture Design History.

loft is in here.png

If you have a design started and wish to convert it, you can right click on the top browser node and pick "do not capture design history". Parametric information will be discarded on this action.

Thanks!

Phil Eichmiller
Software QA Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.