Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deleting sketch constraints - possible?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
MarkESmith
5393 Views, 8 Replies

deleting sketch constraints - possible?

Just playing - draw a rectangle then a separate circle - drag the centre of the circle over a corner & the centre lactches to the corner & the two are associated - drag the edge & the circle moves.

How do you break this association? Delete & redraw?

Cheers

MES

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CAD-One
in reply to: MarkESmith

F8 shows all sketch constraints
F9 Hides them.
Show, select and hit delete on keyboard.
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 3 of 9
schneik-adsk

For Inventor Fusion on Mac, this is not as easy as it should be. You need to delete one of the two sketch elements. You can not delete coincidnet constraints directly. This will be much easier in a future update the the technology preview.

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 9

Using Fusion 360 Ultimate latest version - seems still impossible to delete coincident constraint... if it's there, there's nothing simple or intuitive about it. (on a Macbook Air/Mavericks OS in Education)

Message 5 of 9
frank

undo?

Frank J. Nagle II
Mechanical Design Engineer
Summit Trailer Sales, Inc.
2174 Fair Rd.
Schuylkill Haven Pa. 17972
Message 6 of 9
dwayne.schnell
in reply to: frank

no, because that would undo the entire last operation - which in my case wasn't close to the last thing(s) I did. If, for example I draw a sketch somewhat hap hazardly with the intention of going in after to add constraints and dimensions, I haven't found a way to remove existing constraints that happen automatically.

Tags (2)
Message 7 of 9
frank
in reply to: dwayne.schnell

Dwayne,

undo is an option based on the original stated challange. In your case, I would suggest "hap hazzardly" isn't the best way to create sketch geometry. Many who demonstrate modeling programs, start placing sketch elements "hap hazzardly". The better demos will make a disclaimer that tells you it is for the purpose of of the demo, but when using 3D modeling software, it is a good practice to plan your sketches with a little forthought as to how you will be assembling the model.

I start my sketches equeally constrained from the origin point symetrically whenever possible, so when I assemble the parts I have the option to use the origin planes to constrain the parts together. Not always possible,I know, but it helps to keep things simple. You can edit sketches, and if necessary, redefine the extruded or what ever tool you used to create the 3d part, after editing the sketch. No need to make things more difficult than necessary.

Hope this helps,

Frank

Frank J. Nagle II
2174 Fair Rd.
Message 8 of 9
dwayne.schnell
in reply to: frank

Perhaps the word haphazardly is inaccurate - there is some planning - but sometimes when an object snaps and constrains, thinking it's what I want, but then later when I want to change it down the road, it's not clear to delete the constraint.

I just tried again, using CAD-One's method, but I had to zoom in considerably to be able to select the constraint icon, but I swear I couldn't do it last week... perhaps in the recent update?
Message 9 of 9
frank
in reply to: dwayne.schnell

Dwayne,

Sometimes, when I'm having trouble with constraints or anything else, it is usually after many files have been edited or many files are open. If the problem persists, I close all files, and restart Inventor. This usually clears up the issue with editing. One the other hand, Autodesk is on a continual quest to improve their products, so maybe the credit should go to them. Kudos autodesk...

Frank

Frank J. Nagle II
2174 Fair Rd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report