Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining Sketches

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
RogerTheShrubber
483 Views, 3 Replies

Constraining Sketches

Inventor allows for constraining geometric properties of sketches using geometric and dimensional relationships. I am having trouble finding the same functionality in Fusion. Is there some simple thing I'm missing? For example, I want to:

• Align the centers of two circles vertically, and have that relationship maintained while continuing to edit the sketch

• Constrain and change the angle between two lines that are symmetrically tangent to an arc

• Edited by: messt14 on Jul 10, 2009 12:15 PM
    3 REPLIES 3
    Message 2 of 4

Inventor Fusion does not currently support persistent sketch constraints. It's part of the whole "non-parametric modeling" philosophy.

Fusion will infer constraints and dimensions when geometry is selected, and the dimensions can be edited to affect the geometry. However, those are discarded when the geometry is deselected.

In your opinion, is this lack of dimensions and constraints a serious limitation to workflows, even in a "direct modeling/non-parametric" modeler? We are looking for honest feedback in this area, and we appreciate your questions and comments.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
    Engineering Director
    Message 3 of 4

I grabbed my copy of 'Autodesk Inventor 11 Essentials Plus' to find some examples to use. How would you go about creating the sketch attached, or the part that would result from the extrusion of the sketch?

I'm sure that the non-parametric modeling must require a different mindset on the workflow. I look forward to some tutorials which will help to explain it.

Matt
    Message 4 of 4

Attached is a jpeg that describes how I might do this. I will freely admit that it is a different mind-set than Inventor. It relies on a lot of construction geometry, and on "locking down" geometry once it's created, so it doesn't move around on you.

I've also attached a couple of in-progress versions of this sketch that I saved along the way, just FYI.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
    Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report