Inventor Fusion

Contributor
messt14
Message 1 of 4 (262 Views)

Constraining Sketches

262 Views, 3 Replies
07-10-2009 05:15 AM
Inventor allows for constraining geometric properties of sketches using geometric and dimensional relationships. I am having trouble finding the same functionality in Fusion. Is there some simple thing I'm missing? For example, I want to:

• Align the centers of two circles vertically, and have that relationship maintained while continuing to edit the sketch

• Constrain and change the angle between two lines that are symmetrically tangent to an arc

• Edited by: messt14 on Jul 10, 2009 12:15 PM
    Employee
    jeff.strater
    Message 2 of 4 (262 Views)

Re: Constraining Sketches

07-10-2009 07:43 AM in reply to: messt14
    Inventor Fusion does not currently support persistent sketch constraints. It's part of the whole "non-parametric modeling" philosophy.

Fusion will infer constraints and dimensions when geometry is selected, and the dimensions can be edited to affect the geometry. However, those are discarded when the geometry is deselected.

In your opinion, is this lack of dimensions and constraints a serious limitation to workflows, even in a "direct modeling/non-parametric" modeler? We are looking for honest feedback in this area, and we appreciate your questions and comments.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
    Contributor
    messt14
    Message 3 of 4 (262 Views)

07-10-2009 08:11 AM in reply to: messt14
    I grabbed my copy of 'Autodesk Inventor 11 Essentials Plus' to find some examples to use. How would you go about creating the sketch attached, or the part that would result from the extrusion of the sketch?

I'm sure that the non-parametric modeling must require a different mindset on the workflow. I look forward to some tutorials which will help to explain it.

Matt
    Employee
    jeff.strater
    Message 4 of 4 (262 Views)

07-11-2009 08:30 PM in reply to: messt14
    Attached is a jpeg that describes how I might do this. I will freely admit that it is a different mind-set than Inventor. It relies on a lot of construction geometry, and on "locking down" geometry once it's created, so it doesn't move around on you.

I've also attached a couple of in-progress versions of this sketch that I saved along the way, just FYI.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)
    Announcements
    Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
    Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.