Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
BillFargo3197
530 Views, 4 Replies

Column forms

I am trying to create a set of columns that have a sweeping rope like (vine) feature going up them. I've had no luck starting with a torus and trying to modify it. I've looked at paths and sweeps. Sweeps are close except they want to just revolve when I need the tubes to be wraping up the column. Not just circling around it. Any suggestions? I can easily draw it in 2D but would rather end up with a 3D element.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

This is going to be hard to do today. What you want is a 3d sketch where you can draw on the surface of your column. the sweep along that shape.  Fusion does not have this ability. You can fake it with a lot of work.

Create a surface that represents the outside of your column. create some offset workplanes and then daw some splines in these planes. split face on the surface. you proabably need to do several. then create a sweep aplong these split face edges.

2012-11-10 12.01.48 pm.png

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 5

Were you able to make your forms?

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 5

Kevin,

Not really what I was looking for. When I get time I will put a sketch up for what I'm looking for. Though I said like a vine, it could be just a spiral tube wrapping up the column. I looked at making a series of Torus' and then trying to slice them but I couldn't figure a way to do it.  When I get time, I'll loop back on it. I can make it appear graphically correct in CAD. I was just hoping to be able to actually create it in Fusion.

Message 5 of 5

I realized that drawing a screw would pretty much solve my problem. Though I'm not sure how I would do it in Fusion, I think I can figure it out in CAD.  Another post made me think of it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report