Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot copy / duplicate Body on Mac

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
nf_able
6583 Views, 18 Replies

Cannot copy / duplicate Body on Mac

Perhaps I'm doing something incorrect; judging by what I can get out of the manual, if I right click on the body it should reveal an option to copy.  None is there.

If I select a body (it becomes blue) and select Copy from the edit menu, then paste nothing either.

I am very new to Autodesk and perhaps my PS brain is getting in the way for me to think of the browser breakdown like the 'layers' windows in PS.

Thanks for any help.

nf

Tags (3)
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
schneik-adsk
in reply to: nf_able

Try this...

After you copy, click the top/root line in the browser to make sure that the object you selected to copy is no longer selected.

Then paste. 

I think what is happening is that the copied object is still selected when you try to paste. We can paste something into itself so the paste is failing.

You should see a new line get added to the browser if the paste works. You can then use move component, or joints to position the item.

We know the current workflow is a bit rough and will be making it better in the future.  Maybe you could reply with a few thought on what you think would make it better or easier?

Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 19
frankwu
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Hey, Kevin, I was wondering about this very question earlier.

Suggestion: What would make the copy/paste easier to do is: The new, pasted body appears next to the body you've copied or...  smack in the middle of the screen (like when you copy/paste in Photoshop), or: if you can't paste because the original object is still selected, if a line appears on the screen that says: De-Select Original Body to Paste A Copy of It.

Frank

Message 4 of 19
nf_able

Thank you Kevin, ui design is important to me and let's me know the creators care beyond just the functionality of a program and desire the user's connection and ease of use; it highlights one program as more inviting over others.

As far as copy / paste goes:

It just isn't avaliable for Bodies.  When I right click on the body to 'Create components from bodies' and it turns into a component, then I can copy and paste from the component.  But even then it's not as intuitive as it could be.  I need to click and highlight the top level file name in the browser to paste and then from a right-click only: the Edit - Paste doesn't seem to work.  Paste should be universal.  Even if the original component is selected I should be able to hit CMD-C for copy and CMD-V for paste and have a duplicate appear.  The program should know that the duplicate is identical to the current selected object and not replace it.  If a user was to copy object A and highlight object B and click paste, it should replace object B with a duplicate of object A.  If a user were to copy object A and click in dead space then CMD-V, a duplicate of A should appear at that point.

Other thought:

There should be a hot-key for the 'pan' function, like PhotoShop (sorry to compare) holding space would let you pan the sceen around; when released the cursor reverts back to the function you had selected.

Also, the ability to move the toolbar as well as the browser is swell; I also like the way the browser can be windowed with the slight alpha on the grey background; perhaps this could be adjusted for user's desired opacity. 

Lastly, the perspective cube should be able to be repositioned as the toolbar/browser are - its a bit of a distraction to have to move back to it.  Perhaps there is a way but it eludes me.

thx for listening,

nf

Message 5 of 19
frankwu

To get around the absence of COPY/PASTE in Inventor Fusion, I've been using MIRROR (under PATTERN).  I usually only have symmetrical objects.  I guess, though, for non-symmetrical objects, you can mirror once, and then mirror the mirrored object to essentially duplicate the original.  (I guess you'd have to MOVE it somewhere along the line so that the mirrored mirrored object wasn't superimposed over the original.)

Message 6 of 19
frankwu

Another way to work around the absence of COPY/PASTE in Inventor Fusion: Use Place (under Assemble).

1. Save the file (including the part you want to duplicate).  (In this case, we call it "file 1").

2. Delete everything except the part you want to duplicate.

3. Export this new file as a .sat.

4. Close the file.

5. Reopen file 1.

6. Under Assemble, hit PLACE.  (This only lets you place a limited number of formats, including a .sat.)  PLACE the .sat file.  It will appear in the middle of the composition.  Move object and repeat PLACE as needed.

Message 7 of 19
vrudnikov

This glitch is really frustrating.

Message 8 of 19
FXVIPilot

Spoiler
I think this is the solution!

While I am not on a Mac, I am assuming that what I discovered will work for both Mac and Windows PCs. If you right click in the browser on the object you want to copy, and then hit Ctrl+v with your cursor in the drawing area, I found the object I wanted pasted in concurrent space with (overlapping) the original obect. So then I just used the Move & Align tools to get the copied object where I wanted it.

Please click on "Accept as Solution" button below, and Reply too so I'll know if that did the trick for you.

Thanks,

Wm

Message 9 of 19
AjayKay

Hi There- I've been struggling for 2 days now to figure out why copy and paste wasn't working on my mac. I've tried everything possible and it just doesn't work. I can select copy components, but then when I try to paste them it doesn't happen. It seems to believe it has, because the possibility to "repeat paste" comes up. It's such a fundamental action that I just couldn't believe that it wouldn't work- but looking here it seems that other people find the same. WOW! Also would be great to be able to pattern sketch elements (like rectangles) but this doesn't seem possible either. Have to draw repeated elements individually. Amazing!

Message 10 of 19
AjayKay
in reply to: AjayKay

OK- worked it out copying now. Still would like patterning in sketch mode. 

Message 11 of 19
jp7723

My problem is I want copy an compents of one project to another project, when I select the compents and right click to copy the compents, this compent can  past in this project. But in an new project, the past seem no work. Can someone help me to solve this, thank you very much!

Message 12 of 19
Bob3.14159

how are you copying Ajay?  I am having the same problem.

Message 13 of 19
frankwu
in reply to: jp7723

Perhaps you've already figured this out, but you can use PLACE (under Assemble) to do this.

1. Open the file with the old object you want to move to the new project.

2. Delete all the stuff you don't want to move.

3. Save as a .stp or .sat

4. Open the new project (into which you want to move the old object).

5. Under Assemble, go to PLACE, and PLACE and then move the .stp or .sat file.

6. Magic!

Message 14 of 19
Bob3.14159
in reply to: frankwu

Thanks frankwu.  The process you provided works nicely!

Message 15 of 19
kdbryant

I'd like to have patterning in Sketch Mode also.
Message 16 of 19
jimabell
in reply to: vrudnikov

It is more than frustrating, it is a fatal oversite! I would NEVER purchase software this frustrating to use!

Message 17 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: jimabell

What software are you using?

Inventor Fusion no longer exists - and when it did exist it was free!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 18 of 19
jimabell
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using Autodesk Fusion 360 on a Mac, and this version is the free version. But there is a version with an annual subscription that is offered and that is what I was referring to when I mention purchasing. Thanks

Message 19 of 19
JDMather
in reply to: jimabell

@jimabell wrote:

I'm using Autodesk Fusion 360 ...

The Fusion 360 forum is over here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-validate-document/bd-p/124

I recommend that you start a new thread and attach your *.f3d file.

Someone will show you how to easily solve the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report