Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you move a hole?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
good-ham
10660 Views, 11 Replies

Can you move a hole?

Hi. I'm in the process of learning Inventor Fusion, and I feel like this must be something simple that I'm just missing. I've tried everything I can think of and cannot figure our how to relocate a hole once it is placed. I sketched a rectange, used Press Pull to turn it into a cube (solid), then made a hole. Once I OK it's size and placement I cannot figure out how to move it. If I need to change it's placement, I have to delete and re-create it. If I try to use move, I can only move the body. I found the question asked one other place, but it was never answered. Thanks for any help.

Greg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: good-ham

There are some good videos here

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=classes&filter_keywords=&chunk=100&filter_material=&filter_personal=&filt...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
kurt_steinke

Moving a hole is fairly simple, just not explained well (if at all) in the videos. Expand the part in the browser (click on the little triangle to the left of the part's instance) with the hole in it. Right click on the hole you want to move. Click on the "Edit" option that drops down. Change the locating dimension(s). If the reference dimension to an edge of the part is less than 1, type the digit following the decimal point as quickly as you can after typing the decimal point so the hole doesn't snap to the edge of the part, and then OFF the part by the amount of the digit. Alternatively, you can type the digit, and then insert the decimal point.

Message 4 of 12
good-ham
in reply to: kurt_steinke

Hi, Kurt,

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the PC version, by chance? I'm on the Mac version, and I'm beginning to think it is just hobbled to the point of being useless. The way you describe moving a hoe makes perfect sense - and is exactly what I would expect - but it doesn't apply in my case. There is no triangle by the body (see attached screen shot). The hole is listed at the bottom of the browser - and selecting it highlights the hole - but that's as far as it gets me. Right-clicking only provides a 'dissolve' option, and trying to grab the hole to move it - by the face, edge, center, anywhere I can try to grab it, in fact - does nothing. Selecting move and trying to move it moves the whole part. I keep coming back to that I must be missing *something*, because I can't believe a CAD based package wouldn't have a way to do something so fundamental. I have spent hours trying to figure this out, but am no closer.

Thanks,

Greg

Message 5 of 12
good-ham
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the links. Great source of information. They didn't actually show how to move a hole that I saw - at least not in any way that my version had - but I did learn lots of other things. It looks as though the PC version is much more mature than the Mac version from what I can tell.

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

You might sign up for Fusion 360 Beta (search Google) - there is also a video on the AU website showing it working in Mac environment.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=11015

From the AU video it appears to be very different than Inventor Fusion and more Mac friendly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
kurt_steinke

Yes, I'm using the PC version of Inventor Fusion. It's become clear to me that even the PC version of Inventor Fusion is a "crippled" version of Inventor. Inventor Fusion's concept is good, but its implementation sucks. It was intended to work on and combine models created in virtually any CAD package (hence the title "Fusion"), but, unfortunately, was not implemented as a "high-end" CAD package itself. It had to be "history-free", since the "history" would differ among CAD packages, and "history-free" is the "lowest common denominator". Consequently, it lost some of Inventor's most powerful features: associativity between dimensions and the part, and the ability to create table-driven families of parts among others. Unless you NEED to import models from a variety of programs in a variety of formats, Inventor, rather than Inventor Fusion, is a better choice. Even Inventor version 1.something (the very first version to hit the streets, and, yeah, I'm that old) was a MUCH better and more powerful CAD package. Thanks, Kurt
Message 8 of 12
gary

Did you ever solve this? I have the same issue! on mac
Message 9 of 12
mbridak

Yes, in OS X it seems a bit different. What I do is click the hole label in the browser on the left to select the hole. Then go to Modify -> Tweek Faces. Or you can select the side wall of the hole and then right click (if you have a mouse) and choose Tweek Faces. You should then be able to slide the hole around.

Message 10 of 12
albertuan
in reply to: mbridak

Thanks mbridak for the usefool tip.

When I try to move a hole with Tweak face in move method, movment axis are not alligned with model or with orign. Is there some way to align ? 

Thanks

Message 11 of 12
banshee10
in reply to: mbridak

"What I do is click the hole label in the browser on the left" - how do you get the hole label on the browser on the left? The browser just has entire bodies, not things as specific as holes.
----
James Moore
james@restphone.com
Message 12 of 12
kurt_steinke
in reply to: banshee10

Inventor is a "history-free" modeler. Someone else created your model, so
all you have is a dumb solid (the "lowest common denominator" between CAD
systems, allowing you to merge parts from different CAD environments). You
will have to fill the hole, merge the solid, and create a new hole where
you want it. You can only "move" a hole in an Inventor Fusion model that
you have created, or for which you have the original file.

Inventor Fusion's "niche" is merging designs from different CAD packages,
NOT developing models. Use AutoCAD, Inventor (original), SolidWorks, Catia,
etcetera for that.

Thanks,
Kurt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report