Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can only edit certain dimensions?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mcgyvr
706 Views, 9 Replies

Can only edit certain dimensions?

I have created a simple model as I was playing, added dimensions to the model. but I can only double click on certain dimensions to change. Others do nothing when you double click on them. But If I add the same dimension again over the current one I can modify that dim by double clicking..Whats with that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
schneik-adsk
in reply to: mcgyvr

You are correct. In TP1 only some dimensions can be edited.
We will enable more edits in the future.

-Kevin Schneider
Kevin Schneider
Message 3 of 10
mcgyvr

Please post a list of all limitations in TP1 so I don't waste anymore of my time trying to figure out why I can't edit a simple dimension or any of the other hundreds of issues I see so far. Using this TP1 has made me so frustrated already I am about to uninstall and forget I ever saw it. Intuitive is FAR from how I would describe it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 4 of 10
schneik-adsk

Listing every limitation seems a little difficult when every user might have different expectations on what it is supposed to be able to do. This is a technology preview and as such is an opportunity to use and provide feedback very early in a technology's development. That naturally means that there are going to be limitations and things that need to be improved.

Can you summarize some of the areas that are frustrating you? Fee l free to send those to labs.iv,fusion@autodesk.com if you want to go to a more direct communication method.

-Kevin Schneider

Edited by: schneik on Jun 25, 2009 6:19 PM Edited by: schneik on Jun 25, 2009 6:19 PM
Kevin Schneider
Message 5 of 10
mcgyvr

I started creating a list and got to annoyance #27 and said forget it. My thought process was "How do I do this currently in Inventor?, I'll try to accomplish the same in Fusion" and there are way to many things in current Inventor that you cannot do in Fusion. And I'm just talking about creating simple blocks with holes,etc... This program is so out in left field compared to Inventor now that it just doesn't seem worth my time to even evaluate this technology preview as it stands. I just can't grasp how to get it to function even close to what I would need.
IMO you need to provide training in fusion to even get good feedback from current Inventor users on how it works/functions.

Kevin, I'll give 1 basic example and maybe you can tell my how it would be done in Fusion and where I went wrong.
Create a cube 1" x 1" x 1", now add a countersunk hole to the top with a thru hole of .156" dia and a c'sink of .281" x 82 deg.
Now change the height of the cube to 2" and now the c'sink diameter is modified to something like 2". How do I force the hole sizes I set up when I placed it.

Message 6 of 10
schneik-adsk

Explicit modeling is different from History modeling. Here is a video on how i might do it.

It might be useful if you just look at the feature creation UI and the application UI and let us know what you think of that. If Explicit editing is not useful for your problems that is useful to know too.

-Kevin
Kevin Schneider
Message 7 of 10
mcgyvr

My biggest fear with "explicit" modeling is that I don't have the same level of confidence that I do with history based modeling that other features are not modified when changes are made to other features. I feel that it would take me longer as I would always feel the need to keep checking holes and other features that must retain the dimensions I originally gave to ensure they weren't modified when another feature was changed.
Maybe a good feature to add would be a dimension lock function. For example with the countersink it might be nice to have a check box next to each input box in the hole dialog ribbon that once you click it the dimensions of that feature/part of that feature could not be modified when other features are modified.
I really don't think explicit modeling is for me. I played with Fusion for about 2 hours last night when I got home and no matter what I did some features that must retain their dimensions that I originally gave them (to fit into other components,etc..) were modifed when other features were modified.
I hope that Inventor and Inventor Fusion always remain 2 totally separate products. Keep Inventor history based and introduce a totally separate product called Fusion. But PLEASE don't ever change Inventor to explicit modeling.

Message 8 of 10
schneik-adsk

Leaving explicit modeling aside, what comments do you have on the feature creation UI?For example the drag and value entry interaction for creating an extrude, fillet, revolve, hole and such. Do you find the creation UI an improvement over Inventor Dialogs?

-Kevin Schneider
Kevin Schneider
Message 9 of 10
davidrash

I think what some people don't understand, is that this is a "Technology Preview", this is not the final product. Autodesk is wanting feedback on how to make the Product better for the End User. I don't think I would get rid of it just because I don't understand the interface. After having to learn multiple CAD Programs, for all intents and purposes, on my own, I have found that the more you work with the Software, the better you understand it.

Is functionality limited? Yes, but does that mean we should stop trying to push the limits with it? No. If we are going to criticize something, atleast let us be constructive about it and not just give up. I seriously doubt any of us have gotten where we are because we "Gave Up". What do we teach our kids? "Never Give Up" and "If at first you don't succeed, try try again." Shouldn't we practice what we preach.

It's a new way of doing things, let's make it the best we can.

Hopefully,
"The Voice of Reason"
Message 10 of 10
Mattaxe

The video Kevin put up says it alll, ......easy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report