Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Add Material?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Fusionewb
871 Views, 4 Replies

Best Way to Add Material?

Screen Shot 2012-08-25 at 9.45.31 AM.pngWhat I am trying to do is add material to the long vertical side of this plate using the selected hole as a reference point. I want to add a radius of 7.0 mm from the center of the hole and then blend it smoothly to the plane. 

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Phil.E
in reply to: Fusionewb

It's hard to tell from your picture and description what you intend with this model. Can you post another picture that better describes your intent/your problem?

In general: you can add more material with an extruded sketch profile. In the Extrude dialog set "Operation" to "Join".

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 5
Fusionewb

Please see the attached .pdf to see better what I am trying to do. The .pdf shows "bumps" around four of the 1/8" holes in the plate. I want to add these contours flat-sided model. These contours are simply 7.0 mm radii as measured from the center of the 1/8" holes. 

I should have drawn these in the first sketch before I extruded the flat plate into a 6 mm solid but I didn't know how to draw it then, either.

Message 4 of 5
Phil.E

To add material to an existing solid:

If you sketch a new shape and wish to add material using that sketched shape, just pick the option in the Extrude dialog to "Join" and the new shape will join with the existing solid body.

To create the shape in your diagram:

The key step is to draw the arc in the sketch with the rest of the profile using either Arc commands or Circle commands. Trim the lines if needed. You can also Fillet the lines to blend them. 

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 5
Fusionewb

Thanks for the help! That worked out great. 

....For other beginners who may be following along:

"Circle Center Radius"; placed the center point of the circle on the center of the hole

"Extrude", selected dragged down the "Join" option, and then extruded just the portion of the circle that protruded from the edge of the plate to the depth of the plate (6.0 mm).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report