Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Breaks Apart When Opened in AutoCAD

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
J.L.Bryan
499 Views, 1 Reply

Assembly Breaks Apart When Opened in AutoCAD

I've recently started working in an office that uses AutoCAD, which I don't have a whole lot of experience with. I've been using Fusion instead (since I have experience with the full version) and it's worked well, except for one issue.

Whenever I make an assembly everything appears fine in Fusion (no errors, all parts fully constrained, etc.) but when the file is opened in AutoCAD some or all of the pieces will lose their relative placement and "explode" apart. They seem to displace in only one direction each, but it's enough to completely ruin any complicated assembly.

My understanding was that Fusion and AutoCAD were fully compatible, so I didn't expect to run into a problem this persistant.

I have a hunch that the issue has something to do with grounded componants, or maybe about the order in which the constraints are evaluated.  I have had moderate success completely deleting all constraints and starting from scratch, but I have yet to isolate what is fixing the problem and this doesn't always work (often it will just create a different "explosion" pattern). Are there any best practices that I can use when creating assemblies to prevent this problem from occuring?

I've attached an example file that has the issue, the assembly isn't all that complicated and it looks fine in Fusion, but when opened in AutoCAD many of the pieces are out of position.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jacob L. Bryan

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
J.L.Bryan
in reply to: J.L.Bryan

In order to avoid being that guy who solves the problem himself and leaves it unanswered for you, the person looking at this with the same problem ages later, I'll post my solution.

If you save the file as an IGES and then open it in AutoCAD using the command 'IGESIMPORT' it will preserve the spatial relations while also keeping the parts separate. Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report