Announcements
Autodesk has retired Inventor Fusion. We recommend our customers to visit the Fusion 360 community for related inquiries.
Inventor Fusion (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few issues....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
OwenWhitehouse
754 Views, 6 Replies

A few issues....

FWIW, I don't mind beta testing software, but I'd like to be informed that I'm running beta software and be compensated for my time. This product is in no way ready for the AutoCAD community at large, IMO. Here is a short list of major problems....

• Forget about jumping back and forth between AutoCAD and Fusion. You will lose work, solids & blocks will be renamed, insertion points will change, instances will be overwritten.
  • Fusion DWG and AutoCAD DWG are not the same. There seem to be dramatic differences that are not immediately obvious. I have serious concerns about what will happen if a user opens a file in Fusion. I foresee lots of calls to IT to restore files.
  • No keyboard shortcuts. If I were to sit down to think of a way to annoy long-time AutoCAD users, this would have to be number 1 on the list.
  • Reverse zoom. This is number 2 on the list of ways to annoy an AutoCAD user.
  • Move command is skittish. The triad jumps all over the place, and hitting the escape key halfway through a move leaves objects in odd locations rather than putting them back.
  • I seem to be unable to find a way to insert components in a Fusion drawing. I can draw them, open them, edit them, but cannot insert them.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great concept, I just don't think it is ready, and I believe that a half-baked release will seriously undermine the future of the product. People will try it, it does not work well, it screws up their files and generally annoys them. I have a hard enough time convincing people to try new commands, let alone entirely new design platforms. If it works as poorly as Fusion seems to, they may never give it a second glance.

Inventor is a mature platform with a lot going for it, but Fusion needed a few more hours in the oven. Again, this is just my opinion, and considering how high my hopes were, there may be a little bitterness there....

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
adsk_loren
in reply to: OwenWhitehouse

I forwarded this to the Fusion team. There are some limitations in the current version of Fusion.

I do have a couple of questions, though.

1) Are you opening the DWG in Fusion, or are you opening the file in AutoCAD and using thePlug-ins tab> Edit in Fusion command?

2) Have you looked at the Move videos on the Wiki help?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_Fusion/enu/2012/Videos/move_edges.mp4

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_Fusion/enu/2012/Videos/move_geometry.mp4

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor_Fusion/enu/2012/Videos/move_reorient_triad.mp4

Regards,

Loren Jahraus
Subject Matter Expert/Technical Writer- Inventor Fusion
Message 3 of 7

Owen,

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. A few notes and Questions.

When Inventor Fusion opens and existing AutoCAD DWG we do not save it on top of the existing file, we make a copy. This should prevent any data from being lost. That said, it is true that we have to alter the file as we copy it, Fusion has real world units and needs to scale AutoCAD 3D data so that is matches these real units.

With the zoom direct and hotkeys being different we understand that the feel when moving between applications is not as smooth as it could be. We are working to make improvements in this area.

If you could share some models and your intended workflows with us we would very much like to understand how the tool was failing to work as expected. Please share what you can directly to our team using the feedback email alias: labs.iv.fusion@autodesk.com.

Thanks for talking the time to share you thoughts.

Kevin Schneider
Message 4 of 7
amynowacki
in reply to: OwenWhitehouse

I am using release 14 and having some issues:

-the escape key does not work at all, I have no way to cancel a command once started......is my keyboard not working or is this new in r.14?

- key commands freeze up and sometimes crash the system - this is the way I draft and it is essential that I can continue to use key commands

please advise.

thanks.

Message 5 of 7
schneik-adsk
in reply to: amynowacki

What version of Inveor Fusion is this? We did not produce an R14.

Kevin Schneider
Message 6 of 7
amynowacki
in reply to: schneik-adsk

This is Autocad 2014..
Message 7 of 7
schneik-adsk
in reply to: amynowacki

To get AutoCAD answers please post to one of these forums:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD/ct-p/8
Kevin Schneider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report