Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML Files can't Open with the new 2018

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1140 Views, 5 Replies

XML Files can't Open with the new 2018

I am trying to get my home office computer updated and keep getting these errors when opening a file.

Also, all of my Inventor Materials seem to be missing from the drop-down menu.

Every year when we update, we re-link the Design Data to the same folder with some custom added materials and excel files for holes and such. My computer at the office seems to be fine. These errors are new to me. All of them are present in the Design Data folder and are the same as at the office.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

First question.  Do you have access to the network drive?  Are you VPN?

Second question..  Have you migrated your existing design data folder to the new version?  You can't keep using the same design data folder from Inventor version to Inventor version.  It has to be migrated.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for the response!

I'm not sure about the access thing as I am fairly new to Inventor (2 years) and am not great with software, just the design aspect.

Our head designer quit and I am now in charge of 3 other designers so I am trying to get better.

As for the Design Data being migrated, would that be using the Task Scheduler?

What exactly does it mean to migrate the files?

We have certain materials and things that need to be used so I don't want to lose those.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! I would check the project file setting first. Start up Inventor and go to Project dialog. Look at each file path setting. Is everyone still available and accessible? Please note that Project file can take relative path or network path. You don't have to use path starts with logical drives.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6

@Anonymous

It sounds like you are at home/remote from the office, is that correct?

In your office mode your Inventor design data folder looks like to be on the "S" or a network drive.  Meaning when you're home and not VPN back into your office servers, you don't have a "S" drive mapping on your home PC and thus it can't find your design data folder.  Like @johnsonshiue indicated you need to look at your project file or Tools/Application Options/File tab to redirect your design data when you're home to the correct location.  If the folder options in your active project file states [DEFAULT] for design data, than the location is determined under Application Options.

Also when you move from Inventor version to version and you have custom/updated design data information you have to use the Inventor Styles Library Manager to updating your existing information to the new format.  The Styles Library manager can be located under the Inventor section of your Windows Start Menu.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

To answer your first question, yes I am at home but I did bring home all the files and have re-linked inventor to them on my personal computer.

As for the files being migrated, I tried using the Task Scheduler and it finished in about 2 seconds, but didn't help as far as my Materials coming back or the error trying to open the files.

What's weird is it's just that project I think which gives me those errors.

I will have to find a way somehow to familiarize myself with the Style and Standards tools because both years thus far I have had problems with materials, styles, etc. not being available and errors here and there.

Seems like there should be an easier solution, but maybe it is and I am just not getting it.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report