Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
456 Views, 8 Replies

Wiring issues

1. While I've been able to add wire points successfully in the past, I am apparently no longer allowed to.  I create a new discrete wire, simple from pin 1 to pin 2, no segments or cables involved.  In the harness environment, I right-click on the wire in the browser and select "Add Points," which gives me the cursor with the plus sign, but when I mouse over the wires in the graphics window, or click on them, nothing happens.  I did a search on teh forum and found similar posts from as far back as 2009, but none of these were resolved.

2. Is there any way to have the wires not be rendered to pass through solids (this would help me to sidestep the first issue).

3. Is there any way to convince the program that 14 gauge wire does not need such a large radius to bend through?  These wide, sweeping turns are a bit ridiculous inside a tight enclosure, and I encounter sweep failures in the geometries I would actually like to use.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

So, do I have to go through, figure out each indvividual part used in the assembly and all its subassemblies and upload them separately? It's quite a bit.

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

I would guess you simply need to isolate 2 or 3 parts and pack and go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

It seems that I can only upload 3 files at a time, so here is the first batch

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

2nd batch.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

3rd batch, that should do it?

Message 8 of 9
mcgyvr

Edit the harness.

Change visibility to "centerline display"

Hover over a wire and then right click and select "add points"

When the cursor with the plus comes up hover back over the wire and left click to place a point.

Does a small "user work point" get placed where you picked? (it should look like the attached picture)

If not go to the view tab and in the visibility section..object visibility button.. Is "user work points" checked?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi mcgyvr,

The visibility of the user work points is on, and the pins of the connectors (which are themselves user work points, right?) are visible.  The wires, however, only really show up in the rendered display mode.  In the centerline mode, they show up when I select them in the browser, but then disappear as soon as I try to do anything.  So, in centerline mode, as soon I try right-clicking on a wire in the browser and selecting 'add points,' the wire disappears.  In rendered display mode, I get to see the wires, and 'add points' gives me the cursor with the plus sign, but then clicking on the wires does nothing. Visibility is toggled on for all wires.  In 'harness settings', 'use surfaces for all segments and wires' is unchecked; if checked the wires disappear.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report