Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unroll/Flatten/Bent Solid Revolve without using Sheet Metal

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
jamieking89
2258 Views, 32 Replies

Unroll/Flatten/Bent Solid Revolve without using Sheet Metal

Is there anyway to Unroll/Flatten/bent a cylindrical model which has been revolved around the x-axis?

My goal is to be able to produce a view of the model in this state in order to clearly show where cross drilled holes intersect certain ports. I have created a simplified version of what I would have modelled with only one intersect as opposed to the typical 10 plus. I have also attached and what I am hoping to produce but without the intersecting cross drill.

Thanks

Jamie

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: jamieking89

Why not use Sheet Metal?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 33
jamieking89
in reply to: JDMather

If I convert to sheet metal is there another feature that can be used as bend doesn't produce the results I am hoping for? The part I am modelling is in basic form a pipe with porting that falls on different angles at each end? 

I cant seem to figure out how to split the cylinder and unroll it so that all porting will be laid flat. I have no edge to bend the part around.

Any idea?

Thanks

Jamie

Message 4 of 33
JDMather

@jamieking89 wrote:

Any idea?

Attach *.ipt file here.

I will then Derive Component as surface body.

Thicken.

Rip.

Flat Pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 33
jamieking89

I tried this also but was presented with the error of selected component was rejected since it causes a cyclic dependency.

Jamie

Message 6 of 33
johnsonshiue

Hi! The part is a hollow cylinder and there is no gap. Could you tell me how you want to unroll it?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 33

Hi, why are you trying to perform this operation? It seems more simple and understandable to represent the view in a different way, for example something similar maybe in this way, greetings

Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.

I am attaching my Upwork profile for specific queries.

Sergio Daniel Suarez
Mechanical Designer

| Upwork Profile | LinkedIn

Message 8 of 33

The reason behind this view I would like to produce is on some of our components we have ports that tie in to each other but aren't always in the same position on the lower and upper faces and their lines cross internall. Therefore I would like a view of the part "unrolled" to be able to check that the correct ports line up with each other at each face. Apologies, my single line example there didn't help in you understanding what my goal was. Please find attached a slightly better model.

Is there anyway of laying the part out this way?

Thanks for your help. 

Message 9 of 33
jamieking89
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The part is a solid body with holes drilled internally to tie up with opposite end ports.

Do you mean to convert it to surfaces and then flatten?

I am hoping to create a "unrolled" or "flattened view of the cylinder to clearly show what ports match with others at either end of the component. in a way much like deleted faces but laid flat. Apologies my first model was perhaps to simple to ask what I was hoping to achieve so I have attached a slightly better model.

Thanks

Jamie

Message 10 of 33
JDMather

@jamieking89 

Message 11 of 33
jamieking89

This is definitely a step in the right direction, the only thing is I need to show the internals in order to show the cross drilling and through porting. Is this possible? If converted to surfaces it would lose all internals?

Thanks for the video.

Message 12 of 33
JDMather

Then instead of deriving a surface - Derive as solid, Rip and Flatten.

Rip It.PNG

Message 13 of 33
jamieking89

This is more of a typical shape of the component I am trying to flatten, I tried with your technique but due to their being 3 faces it didn't work and as previously mentioned it didn't include internals.

Jamie

Message 14 of 33
JDMather

@jamieking89 wrote:

... due to their being 3 faces it didn't work

The 3 face undercut is irrelevant.

You deleted the wrong faces, and you should have set to Heal. (and done the Delete Face in the Derived part)

Message 15 of 33
jamieking89

Without being to much of a nuisance, could I ask if you make a video of how you done this with the solid and 3 faces as I found your previous video very helpful.

Thanks

Jamie

Message 16 of 33
jamieking89

Jeffery

I have been playing around with the 3 faced model as a solid and still cannot seem to rip it.

Can you advise, ideally with a video? Apologies for bothering you again.

Jamie

Message 17 of 33
JDMather

Examine Revolution5.

Revolution5.png

Message 18 of 33
jamieking89

I still cant seem to do it once I have corrected those revolutions.

I have followed your original steps with the single facedc cylinder but to no avail.

1. New part

2. dervive part as solid

3. Thicken by 0.004

4. create rip point sketch on top 3rd of model

5. convert to sheet metal and update sheet metal default settings to 0.004 and 1

6. attempt to rip but encounter the error "Creat Sheet Metal Rip: problems encountered while executing this command."

Message 19 of 33
JDMather

Almost everything you have written doesn't make logical sense.

Attach your file here.

Message 20 of 33
jamieking89

Yeah I am completely lost as to how you managed it on the solid body with 3 faces. Rather than going back and forth (as I have no clue how to get to the final result) you could show me a video of you completing it? I find it easier to follow those. Also perhaps in your reply attach your finished model so I can look at how you have done it there too.

Attached is the part with the holes actually cutting through the material and not as they were before.

Again apologies for my lack of understanding and thanks for your help

Jamie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report