Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble importing point cloud into inventor from a recap file

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
r.hamiltonPPVWM
409 Views, 5 Replies

Trouble importing point cloud into inventor from a recap file

Hi Guys

My name is Rob Hamilton & i'm having trouble importing a recap points scan (.rcs) into inventor & keeping the point cloud structure.

I've watches countless videos & read many forums however I've yet to come across a solution, nor have i found anything similar to the problem i'm having.

Whenever I import the file into inventor, all the points align themselves into planes across an origin plane. When i look at it from 1 view (lets say the back view) it looks like the model in detail. However when I rotate the model 90 deg around the Z axis all I see are the planes & no detail.

Not sure if this is an Inventor or ReCap issue.

I've included some picture for a better understanding.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi! I believe the point cloud might not be in the right scale and density. Please take a look at the following page to adjust scale and density accordingly.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick reply

No this doesn't help. The density is already maxed at 10 & lowering it only removes points.

Changing the scale has a similar effect in that the points are moved closer together.

However the points still align themselves to planes with large gaps between the planes (see Top-Down View).

The original file (PTS file) was given to me by a surveyor who used a Leica ScanStation (Either P50 or P40). When I open this file in ReCap it appears as a complete 3D cloud point. I've then saved the file as a ReCap scan file (.rcs) & import into Inventor. I've done this with other files & it has imported without a drama. 

Message 4 of 6

Hi! Another thing to look into is the base point. Inventor has a fixed model space of +-100m in XYZ. I bet the points are far away. Could you right-click on the point cloud and move the base point closer to origin?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 6

HI

I don't understand how moving the model will adjust the points to look more 3D.

Moving the model, only moves the model.

Right clicking on the model has no effect (standard drop-down menu)

Right clicking on the point cloud in the model browser only allows me to adjust position, density & rotation.

Thanks again for your help

Message 6 of 6

Hi! I am sorry I must be missing something. Could you share the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report