Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth surface between 2 lofts

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
2435 Views, 12 Replies

Smooth surface between 2 lofts

Hello,

I am trying to obtain a smooth surface between 2 lofts.  Right now, the model shows a bit of an indentation near the front of the part.  The lofts seem to be caving open themselves.  Any ideas on how to solve this issue?  Thank you!

Please see attached file below.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

use 1 loft rather than 2.  you wont be able to open my 2011 copy and also get those sketches fully constrained

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous

Is it possible to get this shape with only one loft?  How would I go about doing that?  Does that require new sketches?

Message 4 of 13
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it possible to get this shape with only one loft?  How would I go about doing that?  Does that require new sketches?

Yes, but that is not going to solve your problem - it is going to take a bit more work.  How familiar are you with 3D intersections?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Are 3D intersections things like using the join and intersect options when extruding?  Off hand, I do not know what are 3D intersections. 

Also is there a way to highlight these "curved" problem areas?  I think the curvature near the front is obvious to viewers, but there might be other ripples that are not lofting properly. 

Message 6 of 13
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

...I do not know what are 3D intersections. 

...there might be other ripples that are not lofting properly. 

3D sketch - you might do these tutorials.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

... there are built in Inspection tools - but this looks like a user error, not a lofting error.

You might also search Google for Ed Eaton Curvy Stuff Tutorials DiMonte Group.  Written for a different SW, but the principles are the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Are you referring to the Analysis tools under the Inspect tab? 

Message 8 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please see attached file. It is how I would do it easily. You can certainly create a solid loft using the sketches. But, you will need to manage the multiple profiles in the sketches.

The key here is create the loft in one shot. By creating the loft in one piece avoids the problem at seam. Trimming and mirroring is to guarantee the symmetry. This extra step needs to be performed only when true symmetry is required. Inventor loft does a decent job on recognizing symmetry already.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: johnsonshiue

johnson,

As I indicated earlier - I don't thing the loft is the major concern here.  It is the cut of the loft.

Pull the EOP down to Extrusion10 and examine from the Top view.

To fix this (assuming the design intent is for a nice smooth curve) the Loft will have to be constructed in such a way that after trimming it exhibits this desired curve.  The setup to achieve this is a bit more complex.

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for your help.  How was it that the 3D sketches were made?  Did you project the geometry for sketches 1, 2, and 3? 

Thanks!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I was able to loft using the 3D sketches to make a smooth surface.  Now I am trying to fillet the outside between the 2 main solids.  It allows me to fillet the inside as a continuous loop, but the outside breaks apart into small sections.  Any suggestions? 

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Layering-Lofted-Shell/td-p/2715095

Is this a class project? (see link above and attached image)

Which of the two parts are you trying to fillet (it would have been less confusing if you had not included both parts).  Or did you really intend to Combine those into one part?

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Hello,

Yes, it's a project.  What I have been trying to do is to combine the 2 parts and then fillet the area where they intersect on the outer surface.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report