Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch region selection enhancement

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Bert_Bimmel
168 Views, 7 Replies

Sketch region selection enhancement

Hi all,

is there a way to disable that sketch region selection "verschlimmbesserung" introduced in Inventor 2020?:

Bert_Bimmel_0-1648712820506.png

(Note: The straight line just traverses the circle without any constraints at the intersections)
Its just like that auto-scale-feature when applying the first dimension in a randomly drawn sketch introduced in Inventor 2016 (without a chance to disable it - that option was added in a later release, when Autodesk found out that not everyone liked it - surprise!) In some scenarios it might add some comfort, but in others it takes away control and is simply a P1TA. Just take a look at the attached example that has been created using Inventor 2010, and then try to redraw the exact same part with 2020 (or delete the Extrude-feature maintaining the underlying sketch, and then recreate that extrude feature). You will see: It's impossible! It's a made up example, but it shows, that this "enhancement" does not only take away control, it takes away functionality! 
I often end up wondering why i forgot to select some region fragments due to this new feature where i now have to pay attention to get everything i want, where i did not need to pay attention in earlier versions.
I do NOT appreciate this questionable comfort-enhancement!
Dear developers: Whenever you think you have a breakthrough idea how to improve things, always, ALWAYS(!) provide a way to return to the previous behaviour! The opposite of "well done" is "well meant"!

Cheers, Bert

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Does highlighting the closed loop in the sketch work for you? We have the choice of simply picking the edges and that ignores the sectioning:

Galaxybane_0-1648733283438.png

Message 3 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: Bert_Bimmel

I don't see an attachment... 

In the image you posted, the obvious answer would be to toggle the traversing line to Construction; then it would not be a participant in profile searching.  But I assume that your examples are much more complex and not amenable to that solution.

Nevertheless, I completely disagree that this change in 2020 was somehow just eye candy.  This was a huge productivity booster, eliminating the need to add extra geometry to sketches so the profile selector could find them properly.  I can't imagine a situation in which I'd like to return to the former method, so if you can post your 2010 example I am interested to take a look.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Bert,

I am not aware of a way to revert the profile selection behavior back to 2019 or earlier. The old constraint-based profile recognition had been complained for many years. The new geometry-based profile recognition help solve many problems.

For this case, you can change the line type of the straight line to construction type. Then it will not participate in profile solving.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Ok, here comes another attempt to upload the example (I have no clue, why id did not work the first time).

And to all the suggested workaround: YES! I know how to work around things. The point is: I don't WANT to always think about workarounds of unbidden "enhancements".  Everytime something like that comes up i feel like a geriatric old lady that's beeing helped across the street although she doesn't want to change the side of the road!

I accept that some users might consider it useful. When I was an Inventor rookie twenty years ago, I probably would have welcomed it too, but over the years I learned to appreciate the kind of control the old behaviour gave. I have been working with that new method for two years now, and tried to get used to it, and most times it's not a big issue, but every now and then i stumble over things where the result is not what i wanted, and yesterday, the last straw broke. So as I already posted before: I just woul appreciate, if there would always be the chance to turn things "back to normal".

Cheers Bert.

Message 6 of 8
SBix26

Interesting.   I don't think I've ever desired to create a single extrusion feature with two overlapping but separate profiles, but you are absolutely correct that the current "profiler" doesn't give the same result.

SBix26_0-1648823354984.png

I will argue, though, that the workaround to make this shape (two separate extrude operations) is far less work than modifying and constraining sketch geometry to make the previous profiler do the other example:

SBix26_1-1648823603691.png

In my opinion, the new profiler is far more productive than the previous one, and I am grateful to have mostly forgotten the work needed to take advantage of the "kind of control the old behaviour gave."  Perhaps akin to the control that our great-grandparents had over their laundry while hand-washing it compared to automatic washers...

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 7 of 8
Bert_Bimmel
in reply to: SBix26

Yes, yes, and oxcarts vs. cars or smartphones vs. mail pigeons... blah blah blah!

The point is: I want do decide what i consider helpful for me!

e.g. Yes, i prefer a car to an oxcart, and i appreciate if the abs maintains steerability on a full brake, but if the car starts simulating the passenger grabbing into my steering wheel, when it recognizes the medial strip every seven pentecosts, it's getting too intrusive!

Message 8 of 8
Bert_Bimmel

Accept as a solution? NO, for god's sake, its NOT solved!

Or is it? ... In Release 27? I.e. is there a toggle in the Application Options to turn back to normal? I doubt so!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report