Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal gusset

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
wancrum
4956 Views, 17 Replies

Sheet metal gusset

Hi there,

I am trying to model a sheet metal bracket that will be used to attach parts at 90°. I don't understand how to add a gusset for strength in the bends. I found the post referencing cbliss's website but when I try to open the downloaded file it gives me an error. Could someone please point me in the right direction for how I should go about this. I believe I can create a punch for the three ribs in the center but I am just unsure of how to go about creating the gussets on the bends. Thank you for any help with this.

http://cbliss.com/inventor/iFeatures/index.htm

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: wancrum

@wancrum wrote:

.... but when I try to open the downloaded file it gives me an error. ....

Can you post screen shot of the error that you are seeing?

Message 3 of 18
wancrum
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Here are the two messages that pop up.

Message 4 of 18
TheCADWhisperer

I don't think you will be able to get a flat pattern from the fully modeled part, but you should be able to use a simplified model without the stamped features and another model with the stamped features.

If you attach your file here modeled best you can - I will show you how I would do the gussets and center pressed feature.

Message 5 of 18
wancrum

Here is what I have so far. I attempted to create a rib and shell it out in an example. I created the bracket as a standard part in the second attachment but was unable to recreate the shell from the first. Last is an assembly of the bracket being used. We would modify the bracket or our part to correct hole spacing. I have it where it fits to the bracket right now. I am going to go back to try and create it as a sheet metal part. Thank you for your help.

Message 6 of 18
TheCADWhisperer

Is something like this what you are after?

Have you installed all Service Packs and Updates for your version of Inventor?

Message 7 of 18
wancrum

Yes that is what I am trying to create. I was able to recreate what you did. Thank you for your help. I didn't know about the draft tool. I tried to recreate the sheet metal version gusset with both a revolve and extrusion but wasn't able to get the shell to appear correctly. I understand if the sheet metal is flattened it wouldn't show the gusset anymore so I tried the above after creating the flanges and unfolding them. If we wanted to make a version of this part, we would send the manufacturer two drawings of it- one with gussets and punches like what you modeled and another sheet metal part showing the blank unfolded. I'm thinking of how I would ask someone to make this, and that is what I would tell them. They would use both drawings to recreate the needed features?

Our version of Inventor should be up to date. I haven't seen any messages saying otherwise. 

Message 8 of 18
TheCADWhisperer

@wancrum wrote:

....Our version of Inventor should be up to date. I haven't seen any messages saying otherwise. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/downloads?release=2016

Compare the iProperties of your file vs the file that I attached.

2016 iProperties.pngSP2.png

Message 9 of 18
Hochenauer

Would a derived part work for you? 

You can have the sheetmetal part without the gusset in the main part. It would contain all the regular bends and sheetmetal features required to create the flat pattern.

In the derived part, you can add additional manufacturing steps like the gussets, or maybe model the corners closed simulating a weldment.

Let me know what you think about that approach.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald Hochenauer
Senior Principal Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

Do you still have trouble with this? I have just uploaded a video to demonstrate my solution. That is an Inventor addin. Hopefully it's still able to help you and everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAgieaDZ1TA

Message 11 of 18
S_May
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

can you please upload the file?

Message 12 of 18
S_May

Hi @wancrum

Screencast wird nach Klicken auf „Veröffentlichen“ hier angezeigt.

d2462bf2-e83e-42d6-a56f-51ae27ec2d29

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: S_May

Hi @S_May

Sorry for not attaching the file. In fact, the addin has been uploaded on app store, and waiting for approval.

I temporarily attached it in this reply. If you are interest in it, or you have any comments, please don't hesitate to let me know. It will be much appreciated.

Message 14 of 18
S_May

HI @tri_nguyen_bkhcm,

thx...

Message 15 of 18
S_May

Hi @wancrum,

Here's a solution to your iFeature problem with the rib in sheet metal and flat sheet

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-2019-ifeature/td-p/8463890

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

Hi @S_May ,

Just let you know that the addin Gusset Creator has been gotten the approval of Autodesk App Store. I hope it can help in some specific cases.

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=341066405317227327&appLang=en&os=Win64

Tags (2)
Message 17 of 18
janelson33

@S_May FTW!!!! Awesome work, awesome to see it's an add-in now.

Office Machine Specs:
- Dell XPS Tower
- Windows 11 Pro - 64-bit 22H2
- Intel Core i7-8700 @ 3.20 GHz
- 32 GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Inventor 2022 Professional & Vault Basic installed on SSD
- Window Defender

Remote Machine Specs:
- HP Z2 Mini G4
- Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit
- Intel Core i9-9900 @ 3.10 GHz base
- 32 GB RAM
- NVIDIA Quadro P1000 4GB
- Inventor 2022 Professional & Vault Basic installed on M.2 SSD
- Kaspersky Internet Security Product Suite
Message 18 of 18
stefanos_granitsas

I am desperately looking for this, but the link is dead.
I went through all of the App store, but I could not find it. 

@S_May any link where it would still work?
On youtube I found a video which seems to be using it, is it your solution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsoZTBoPFhg

Thanks in advance

This is a plugin to create quickly round gussets and square gussets in Sheet Metal. With it, you just define some basic dimensions and that's it, you're done! In addition, because the gussets are created properly, your model can then be updated if the parameters are changed. This applies to not ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report