Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolled Plates?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
125 Views, 4 Replies

Rolled Plates?

Help. I've been working on this for far too long. I would like to model a part that represents a 2-1/4 inch plate that is burned into the shape of a rectangle with many rectangular holes burned out of it in an array pattern and then rolled and welded into a large diameter. The result is a huge drum with many rectangular holes arrayed around the drum. I can easily model the drum IF I start with the circular shape and THEN create the flat pattern. However, I would like to first create the rectangular plate with holes, and then roll it. This will give an accurate representation of the rectangular hole after rolling, which is the feature I'm most interested in.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I can create rectangular holes through a drum with no problem, but that doesn't produce an accurate hole feature. i.e. the tapered phenomenon resulting from the roll procedure.

Tim
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

After either revolving or extruding the cylinder
you will need to add a small extrusion to the "joint".  This is necessary
in order to create a flat surface to place another sketch for the
cuts.  Once a new sketch is placed on this plane you can use the project
flat pattern command to unfold the cylinder in your sketch.  On this
sketch place the cutouts.  When back in sheet metal mode and the cuts
are to be made make sure you select cut across bends. I don't do this
allot, but I think this is the way it works.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">Help.
I've been working on this for far too long. I would like to model a part that
represents a 2-1/4 inch plate that is burned into the shape of a rectangle
with many rectangular holes burned out of it in an array pattern and then
rolled and welded into a large diameter. The result is a huge drum with many
rectangular holes arrayed around the drum. I can easily model the drum IF I
start with the circular shape and THEN create the flat pattern. However, I
would like to first create the rectangular plate with holes, and then roll it.
This will give an accurate representation of the rectangular hole after
rolling, which is the feature I'm most interested in.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I can create rectangular holes
through a drum with no problem, but that doesn't produce an accurate hole
feature. i.e. the tapered phenomenon resulting from the roll procedure.

Tim

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thank you very much! I've been trying for a couple hours to come up with a clever way to use the proj. flat pattern and haven't been successful...yet. Again, thank you for the input.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

There is another method posted by Larry in Customer files. Subject Re: Tube to Flat?
posted on 3/20/03 You could cut the arrayed rectangles before folding with that method I
believe.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"Jimmy Carr" wrote in message
news:D83C9649751734617C9F0395A1905845@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> After either revolving or extruding the cylinder you will need to add a small extrusion
to the "joint". This is necessary in order to create a flat surface to place another
sketch for the cuts. Once a new sketch is placed on this plane you can use the project
flat pattern command to unfold the cylinder in your sketch. On this sketch place the
cutouts. When back in sheet metal mode and the cuts are to be made make sure you select
cut across bends. I don't do this allot, but I think this is the way it works.
>
>
> "Dingo" wrote in message news:f15a6b3.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Help. I've been working on this for far too long. I would like to model a part that
represents a 2-1/4 inch plate that is burned into the shape of a rectangle with many
rectangular holes burned out of it in an array pattern and then rolled and welded into a
large diameter. The result is a huge drum with many rectangular holes arrayed around the
drum. I can easily model the drum IF I start with the circular shape and THEN create the
flat pattern. However, I would like to first create the rectangular plate with holes, and
then roll it. This will give an accurate representation of the rectangular hole after
rolling, which is the feature I'm most interested in.
> Does anyone know of a way to do this? I can create rectangular holes through a drum
with no problem, but that doesn't produce an accurate hole feature. i.e. the tapered
phenomenon resulting from the roll procedure.
>
> Tim
>
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

What I've found is, if you don't create feature as a sheet metal 'fold', you can't cut across a bend. You'd think a cylindrical surface would be as good as a 'fold' but it doesn't seem to work that way. I'd suggest you just make your flat plate with the holes in it. Then make a sketch plane on one of the faces you want to bend. Use the menu 'Applications' to switch to sheet metal and make the 'fold' feature using one of the projected face edges. Be sure you set the 'thickness' parameter to your true plate thickness or you will get one strange brew...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report