Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
335 Views, 8 Replies

Parts

I just started this new job about a month ago and what ive been noticing is that we use the same parts in multiple assemblies, but we also modify these parts to use in other assemblies. This poses a problem because if the original is changed and saved on accident then it messes all the others up where its used. 

My question is is there a way to save a part as a "master" that way when modified the orignal wont change?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

In my opinion.. If you have standard parts that are being modified for other assemblies, than they must be their own file.   They are not the same part.   Why would you keep them the same?

But you could use iParts or derived parts from the master (part) file..

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 9

Are you using Vault?

Either way make them a library part ...and in a location that can't be written.

If it's in the vault that's easy.   If it's not ..then put it on a network location and file protect it ...so it can't be overwritten

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

For example. If you design a lid that fits 20 different types of boxes but now you make other boxs that that lid wont work for so instead of starting from scratch for each box you take said lid and make a couple of changes and then it works for the new boxs. Now is there any way to make the orignal lid a master before making changes that way no one accidental save over that file and changes the lid for the 20 boxes it was used for origianlly.

I hope this makes since

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

I honestly dont know if they have a vault account
Message 6 of 9
mdavis22569

it's a new revision ... 

Are you using Vault?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
mdavis22569

If they are different numbers, then I would just save copy as, rename it and make the changes. Save it back to where it can't be changed

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thats what we do now with the save as feature, but you know how it is soemone will forget and mess everything up

Message 9 of 9
mdavis22569

Put the files on network location with limited write permissions.  If it's just one person who can move it into there ..then you shouldn't have a problem. We had a pending folder, till it was checked/verifed then it was moved into the locked folder so it couldn't be overwritten. 

Bonus, depending on how often your company does backup's, it would be a simple restore. 

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report