Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Methods for Large Assembly File conversion into STEP

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
maespirituE2PMR
221 Views, 2 Replies

Methods for Large Assembly File conversion into STEP

Hello. I'm looking for methods to compress/simplify a large STEP file from a supplier/vendor to bring into Solidworks. Opening the STEP file directly in Solidworks is very time consuming and even when it opens successfully, it is still hard to work with when adding other components/subassemblies into the main top level assembly.

Currently, I've been bringing in a STEP file into Inventor, use the Shrinkwrap feature, then export to STEP. After that shrinkwrap export, I then open the file in Solidworks.

Just wanted ask for any other suggestions or tips. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi

Check out the Simplify tool. You can remove many details, define joining/separating solids and surfaces, and much more.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 3 of 3

Hi! One simple thing to do is to reduce the spline fit tolerance. Depending on the geometry, the tolerance can influence the STEP file size dramatically. In the Export dialog, click on Options -> set Spline Fit tolerance to 0.001mm (to persist on last used). Has the STEP file become smaller?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report