Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Assemblies Crash 2017

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
KsbPES
341 Views, 8 Replies

Large Assemblies Crash 2017

Hello,

I am having an issue with checking in/checking out large assemblies into the vault. This applies for both actual assemblies and drawings. The issue im having is that inventor will crash for ~2 minutes and then eventually check the assembly in. Is this an issue with my vault server? 

In addition how can i improve the performance of large assemblies (> occurences). I don't believe my computer is the issue and I have tried changing all of the settings I possibly could to improve performance. 

PC Specs:

-CPU: Xeon E3-1270 v5 @ 3.60GHz

-Ram: 64gb

-HDD: 240gb SSD

-GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 510

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: KsbPES

Welcome to the forum.

Hard to say if it is a vault server issue considering we don't know what kind of server you have and if it is a local (on your machine) or network.  If it is a network server then is it a stand alone server used exclusively for Vault or is it a network server that is shared amongst the entire company for more then just Vault usage.

See this link to start optimizing your large assemblies.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
Rob67ert

Hi,

you can check on the Vault server in the log if you see any problem there.
What is your network speed?

You say Inventor crash and still check in? So it is not a crash, but it takes just a long time?
Robert

If you find this reply helpful ? It would be nice if you use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 4 of 9
KsbPES
in reply to: Cadmanto

@Cadmanto wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Hard to say if it is a vault server issue considering we don't know what kind of server you have and if it is a local (on your machine) or network.  If it is a network server then is it a stand alone server used exclusively for Vault or is it a network server that is shared amongst the entire company for more then just Vault usage.

Yes we run a network server that is dedicated to running the vault. It is a Dell Poweredge R430 if that helps.

Message 5 of 9
KsbPES
in reply to: Rob67ert

@Rob67ert wrote:
Hi,

you can check on the Vault server in the log if you see any problem there.
What is your network speed?

You say Inventor crash and still check in? So it is not a crash, but it takes just a long time?

Ping: 12ms

Download: 57 Mbps

Upload: 26 Mbps

It doesn't totally crash but it goes into "non responding" mode and asks if i'd like to close the program or wait for it to respond. 

Message 6 of 9
Rob67ert

A ping of 12ms in a local network is not that good. Normally this should be >1ms
But Ping does not tell much about the actual speed of your network.
For large assemblies i also notice that Inventor is not responding, but give it a moment and it will work.

All depends on how big is your assembly, how many parts are in is. How busy is your server, do you use it only for Autodesk Vault or are there other SQL database running on it.
Robert

If you find this reply helpful ? It would be nice if you use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 7 of 9
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: Rob67ert

The "crash" may also be a result of DWF files being generated automatically on check-in; try disabling that & retry your check-in. That would be another useful data point.

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 9
dgorsman

The "not responding" window is a Windows dealy introduced sometime around Vista or Win 7, and it's not exclusive to something going wrong.  Users were complaining that they couldn't tell if the computer was actually locked up or just busy with something.  So MS introduced that dialog when an application takes an abnormally long time to let the OS know its ready for input, so users could switch to something else like a diagnostic tool to be certain.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 9

I’ve fought the performance issue for years working in engineering departments.  It’s always an issue of spending the money to upgrade hardware which some “bean counter” always found “too expensive”... so my experience found it to be a losing game and a waste of time for better tools.  Hardware and software is inexpensive when it comes to output, especially if you’ve run up against the limitations.  And to get a little “political” here, cost cutting many times meant going south of the border, or elsewhere when it came to US companies.  GO TRUMP, GO.  (Best to read this quickly.  I’m not sure how long it will be viewable.)

Now that I’m a product developer I know better than to try and save money on underpowered hardware/software, which can cut the milestones to market by many factors over what management’s view of cutting costs is.

First I took a look at your graphics card, “nVidia NVS 510”.    You’ve titled your post as “Large Assemblies Crash 2017.  Current graphics cards from nVidia are in the 10’s of gigabytes range.  Of course the rest of the system has to be designed to handle the better graphics cards; for example a Quadro P6000, which runs about $3300.  Ouch! Says the bean counter, without factoring in paying you that over about a month, whereas the saving could be a number of months, depending on what size assemblies you are dealing with.  The rest of the hardware; case drive(s), memory, etc are minor cost items in comparison.

The reason I’m visiting here today is for recommendations on hardware using Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate.  The current product being contemplated has a possible part count estimate of 10,000 parts with as much duplication as can be provided to help achieve the end result.  I will appreciate any advice from those who have dealt with projects of this size, and detailed software and hardware they have used to achieve that end.

By the way, my software dealer put on webinars that included at times the issue of large assemblies.  I was able to get a DVD of one of their large assembly webinars, which an outside vendor hosted for them.  However afterwards I was told such webinars were only available to view.  To me they were not informing, they were using the webinars as a sales tool only.  This might be something you might look into to see if the providers of the webinars will give you the capability of downloading the webinar so you can observe it in detail, including the hardware/software being used.  The large assembly DVD, of course, can be paused at any point, which is a big advantage over having to look at it in its entirety.  Such DVD webinar info could be used to help you state the case for better hardware/software.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report