Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue: assembly don't update after change a dimension in a sketch in the master part

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
gusi_cl
730 Views, 13 Replies

Issue: assembly don't update after change a dimension in a sketch in the master part

Using a skeleton modeling mode, when the sketch in the main part changes, the assembly doesn't update. This issue starts after the installation of Inventor 2022, in  exsisting files. If the assembly, parts, and main part with pilot sketch is modeled as new, all work fine.

I attach a Pack&go with a  simple assembly with this issue.

P

Labels (3)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gusi_cl

Hi Claudio,

Many thanks for sharing the files! Please show me how to reproduce the behavior. I would like to try it on my machine. It should work.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 14
gusi_cl
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you Johnson, you're always the first to answer. Now it is late in
Italy, so I'll make a video tomorrow.
But if you want to reproduce the issue it is easy to do....open the
assembly, open the first part and find the derived part. Open the derived
part, that is the skeleton of the entire assembly and change any
dimensions. Save and save and save...but not the parts and nor the assembly
updates. The button of the lightning won't turn on, like the previous
versions of Inventor did.

Thank you in advance.
Message 4 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! I believe the Sketch1 is no longer derived, although it is still under the Derive feature node. You can edit the Derive feature. You will see the Sketch1 is not derived. Also, the projected constraints are all gone.

It seems that the projected constraints were deleted. Do you still have the 2021 files that have projected constraints?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 14
gusi_cl

Hi Johnson, I'msorry but I don't have the previous files. They're
overwritten with the ones I've uploaded.
I've done the following test. In a new part I've copy and pasted the
sketch1 contained in the driven part, saved and replaced the driven part
with the new, that is the same with the same sketch on the same workplane
XY. Same sketch name.
After these operations, I found two sketches.... Please see the attached image.

It seems like a problem caused by a conflict with the new model states, that don't recognizes the same sketch in the same principal model state.

Message 6 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! The browser object names within the same document cannot be duplicated. So "_x" is appended to the object name when there is a conflict.

What I don't understand is that the sketch geometry in Sketch1 (the derived sketch) is all free. Those lines do not have "Projected" constraints as derived sketch geometry normally should. This seems that constraints were deleted manually. If you can find a process that leading to "Projected" constraints being deleted, it will be a bug.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 14
gusi_cl

Hi Johnson, I've preferred to format the computer and reinstall all the softwares. The problem disappears but this strange behaviour doesn't find a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 14
klaas.haesen

Hi @johnsonshiue 

I started having a similar issue in a skeleton assembly (Inventor 2022.4)

The derived sketch seems to be linked to the parent but does not update the geometry.

The constraints are all gone (not deleted manually - I don't think that is even possible).

When I "Edit Derived Part" I get a preview of the correct sketch, but when I finish the command the sketch in the part is not updated.

This behavior started to occur in multiple other files.

Please find the skeleton and the derived part attached.

Also I got an older version of the derived part were the link still works.

Message 9 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: klaas.haesen

Hi Klass,

Many thanks for sharing the files! I took a quick look. The issue with the new derived part is that the derived sketches are no longer associative to the source sketches. You may edit each derived sketch and check the constraints. None of them have projected (derived) constraints. Do you know how to reproduce this behavior? Was the source part replaced or swapped?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 14
klaas.haesen

@johnsonshiue 

No, the files were not swapped.

Everything was working fine, until one day I noticed some parts were not following the skeleton anymore.

I have another part that is derived from the same skeleton (2100 845 0 W24-new).

One of the sketches is still linked (RoolBracket) and the other has the buggy behavior (Motor - Reactiearm beugel).

If you can get someone from Autodesk to look at the difference between those two sketches we might be a step closer to finding a solution.

Message 11 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi Klass,

I am the someone. I took a look at the files. As I mentioned earlier, the affected sketch geometry lacks the projected constraint. As a result, the source sketch no longer drives the derived sketch. The question is how did it happen? We need to find out how the constraints were removed. Do you have the healthy copy? Did you remember what you did before it started behaving like this?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 14
klaas.haesen

Hi @johnsonshiue 

I don't know how these sketches got broken.

They where working fine. Then I checked them into the Vault. A couple of weeks later I started working on the assembly again and noticed some parts were not following the updates I made to the skeleton.

The original assembly was last modified in 2019 - I think using Inventor 2018 (or 2017).

I started reworking the assembly in November 2022.

The version in Vault from the beginning of December is still OK. The version from the end of January had the bug.

The derived sketches that loose their link to the parent are generally the newer sketches I made in the skeleton, or the ones I reworked.

When I was working on the assembly I had some Inventor crashes.

Attached to this post you can find a healty copy of part 2100 845 0 W24

Message 13 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi Klass,

Could you go to Vault and find out the change history of this particular part? I am interested in seeing when and how this broken associativity started.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 14
klaas.haesen

Hi Johnson

In the Vault history there is no extra information. I checked the parts in at December 6th. And the next version from January 30th is broken.

I have come across a part that I created on the 29th of November (so not from an older version of Inventor) and that was working when checked in on December 6th. Now when I open the older version the sketches are intact, but it is asking for an update. After the update the sketches are broken.

You can find the part attached to this message. It is referencing the same skeleton file as before.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report