Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor - Exporting BOM to preformatted Excel Document

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dwilmerN5339
252 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor - Exporting BOM to preformatted Excel Document

I'm hoping to import an ASSY's BOM into a premade excel sheet. I have the BOM set up so the columns match the Excel sheet, but I want the BOM to be placed with the top right cell located at B15(Rows 1-14 are dedicated to calculations). In addition, it would be optimal (but not a must) if I could:

a) not have the BOM headers sent to the excel sheet, just the data

b) have the formatting of the excel document stay the same (all odd rows are grey for ease of finding information) 

Thanks!

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @CGBenner ]

4 REPLIES 4
Message 3 of 5
A.Acheson
in reply to: dwilmerN5339

What Inventor version are you using?

With the manual BOM export there is limited/no export to existing excel template. This may have changed in last version however. 

The partslist export has always had the ability to export to a template. I’m not sure if any of the formatting is preserved. But you can certainly pinpoint the start rows and do some small adjustments.

Let us know if it is a manual export your looking for or you will certainty get the solution in an iLogic/VBA solution but it is a rabbit hole that is fruitful but can be long. One example would be export the raw data to excel then copy and paste the data into your template using the excel functions by code. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 4 of 5
dwilmerN5339
in reply to: A.Acheson

We are using Inventor 2023.

I'm willing to export the BOM manually or via iLogic; whichever works best for moving it over. I hadn't thought of exporting the data raw to excel and then having excel transfer the data to the designated file, I'll have to look into that as I'm sure maintaining format between excel sheets is easier than from Inventor to excel.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
A.Acheson
in reply to: dwilmerN5339

In the link kindly posted by @Gabriel_Watson 

there is a code for exporting the complete BOM as raw data to a temp sheet and then copying this worksheet to the template. The better method might be to copy the contents of the sheet and then paste. But you can check what works manually then replicate by code. 

The second method mentioned in that post is to export the BOM line by line.

This works by targeting individual BOM lines and Columns. 

I have not tested if this will preserve the template formatting but it would be the easier of the bom exports if it does. 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report