Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Crash when Demoting Parts

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
johnmondro4888
820 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor Crash when Demoting Parts

Inventor 2022.2.1.

When demoting parts in a repetitive manner (e.g. demote part_01-10, part_11-20, part_21-30, etc.) Inventor crashes without going to the "CER Report" dialog. Typically happens after 3-4 repetitive demote operations.

Have tried the following with seemingly no result:

• Verified all drivers are current
  • Verified all Autodesk updates have been applied
  • Disabled all non-OEM add-ins
  • Saved after each demote operation (at least this gets me back to the last operation)

Any guidance would be appreciated - thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Just curious if you have also tried disabling the vault add-in while doing these operations as well? 

I have issues on my end with the vault add-in crashing my inventor when I am doing certain operations after a while (Such as file deletes and replacing components even if they aren't being replaced 'from vault') and it never gives me a CER report dialog when it crashes this way. 

When I disable the vault add-in none of my issues persist, however. I feel it could be worth a shot.

Message 3 of 19

@kristin.jakuszanek - thank you! Will give it a try.

Message 4 of 19
CGBenner
in reply to: johnmondro4888

@johnmondro4888 

Hi, I hope the suggestion from @kristin.jakuszanek works for you.  Can you report back, or Accept Solution (if it worked) after you've had a chance to test this?  Thank you!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 19

@kristin.jakuszanek - thanks again for the suggestion.

Tried this with a sample top-down .IPT "componentized" into an .IAM. using following procedure:

1. Checked everything into Vault Pro 2022 through Inventor 2022, then re-checked .IPT, .IAM and all component .IPTs out.

2. Verified that all files were "Read / Write" in my working folder.

3. Closed Vault Pro 2022 client.

4. Started Inventor 2022, logged out of Vault, disabled Vault Add-in & restarted Inventor (verified that Add-in was not active.)

5. Started demoting (6x) sets of parts to sub-assemblies

6. Inventor crashed on the third set of parts three times in a row - without a CER message. Same as with Vault active and logged in.

So I don't think it's the Vault Add-in. Added the Pack-n-go of this test in case anyone wants to try.

Message 6 of 19
sundars

Hi @johnmondro4888 

I tried a few permutations & combinations of demote with your attached dataset and so far I am not seeing a crash on Inventor 2022.2 Build 287. Your top assembly contains a lot of parts (named solid 1....n) and 3 model states. I tried demoting both at the master model state and in one of the other model state (where components are suppressed).

It's puzzling. The only other things I can think of are

- make sure your template is correct & openable

- make sure you are writing to a local folder (have read/write access - you mentioned this already)

- unload all adds-ins, demote and if it works, then maybe some other addin might be the culprit

- make sure you have enough disk space (i am sure you have!)

- clean out temp folder (dont think this matters)

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 7 of 19
johnmondro4888
in reply to: sundars

@sundars - Double-checked the things you noted. Other than unloading a couple of custom add-ins we have, all are good. Disabled our custom add-ins - problem persists.

Not sure why you mentioned having a couple of model states. Neither are active - but even if they were why would this affect the demote process? I deleted them - problem persists.

Yes there are 18 solid bodies in the top-down .IPT. I've done this in the past with hundreds. Usually name the solid bodies - just didn't for this demo. Aren't the "Make Components" and "Demote" process precisely to support this workflow?

Had one of our designers here do the same process on the same file and was able to demote each group of three parts to six sub-assemblies without issue. Looks like it might be an issue with my installation.

EDIT: BTW, he's not on the same Inventor build as me:

• He's on Build 287, Release: 2022.2.

• I'm on Build 287, Release: 2022.2.1

Message 8 of 19
sundars

Hi @johnmondro4888 

I only mentioned the inactive model states because I even activated those and tried demoting the suppressed components but was not able to reproduce the problem.

So it basically quick exits? without any crash error dialog? Puzzling!!

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 9 of 19

@johnmondro4888 
Have you tried going back to the 2022.2 build at all and seeing if the problem persists? 
Maybe the new build update has a bug in it pertaining to demoting. Just a hunch, since you have a coworker who is running the earlier build without the crashing issue.  

It also appears that there is a new 2022.2.2 build. You could try updating to that as well to see if the issue is present. 

Unfortunately I am not running inventor 2022 at all so I can not check if I can replicate this error at all. 

Message 10 of 19
sundars

You can definitely try that experiment and uninstall the update 2022.2.1 and see if it fixes the issue - that would be an interesting test. It was pulled because of a different issue.

Btw, I just installed that update and tested the demote workflow on the attached dataset and I still dont see the crash 😞

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 11 of 19
johnmondro4888
in reply to: sundars

Ok, uninstalled 2022.2.1 update - problem is gone! Thanks for all the suggestions @kristin.jakuszanek & @sundars

Message 12 of 19

Hi Folks,

2022.2.2 update is available now. It should resolve the problem. Please install it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 19
Miguel.Cruz
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello Johnson-

I, along with others here at work, are still experiencing an Inventor crash, more often than not, when demoting parts, despite our company having the latest 2022.2.2 update.  Do you or anyone else on this thread have any new information regarding this issue?

Thanks!

Message 14 of 19
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Miguel.Cruz

Hi Miguel,

I am not sure if the crash you are seeing is the same as this thread. Did you send in the crash report? If yes, please send an email to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the crash better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 19

Demote issue is back with 2023 - seemingly with all variants: 2023.0 - 2023.2.

Have found the only resolve is to use the "Default" .ipj. We use Vault Pro 2023, and of course - a Vault-configured .ipj. When the Vault .ipj is used, Inventor will crash every single time when demoting. Doesn't matter if it's two parts or 200. So, if you're using Vault Pro and experiencing this issue, maybe try changing to the "Default" project file temporarily. I know it's not an optimal solution, but at least it allows Demote to be used the way it was intended to prior to 2022.

BTW, our Autodesk integrator's tech support team reviewed our Vault-configured .ipj and verified that it is set up correctly. Also reviewed our demote process and left the call scratching his head.

Message 16 of 19
sundars

Hello @johnmondro4888 

I am sorry to hear that. If you have the crash error report ID, please post it here. In addition, if you can reproduce it with a simple dataset or steps, please do provide them as well. We will take a look at it.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 17 of 19
bill.jiang

I have same problem. When doing demote, there are 50% chance that the inventor will crash without any report

Message 18 of 19
bill.jiang

I use inventor 2023.4

Message 19 of 19
johnsonshiue
in reply to: bill.jiang

Hi Bill,

Inventor should never crash. It sounds like a bug to me. You may want to share the files in zip with me on a cloud drive of your choice. Grant me the access johnson.shiue@autodesk.com.

In the meantime, you may try suppressing the assembly constraints (at least the ones to be demoted). Then demote the components. Does it avoid the crash?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report