Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor component is read-only or is in use, continue with edit? (Block edits?)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1214 Views, 9 Replies

inventor component is read-only or is in use, continue with edit? (Block edits?)

Hello People !

Since this is a combination between Inventor and Vault i wasn't sure were to post this. Nevertheless I hope some of you guys could help me with my issue.

Lately I was doing this project for a client of us and a week after I sended the drawing I got a drawing back with some markups. What I noticed was that the drawing was not showing the final representation of the drawing I made. I then did some research on this and noticed that some components were reverted to the "old version".

My conclusion: 

In all the hectic I probably didden't check these files out. 

The warning Inventor then gives: inventor component XXXX/ Filepath XXXXX/ is read-only or is in use continue with edit?

Is there a way to make it impossible to edit parts which are not checked out? In that way you are forced to check out parts before edits.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Mitchel Stottelaar

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Sounds like your client is checking certain files out but not all and passing them on to you.  Is that a true statement?

Yes, it would be nice if they checked out all.  But, with that said, if you have read only files as indicated my the message you are getting, you can find the files in Windows Explorer and RC on them, select Properties and uncheck the read only box.  This will allow you to edit them.  Now, on his end, he need to open them up directly from explorer and check them out of the vault without overwriting the ones on the local.  Then check them in to make Vault current.

I hope that makes sense.

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2020

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for your reply Cadman,

We have an plug-in called Organice Vault. This Plug-in automatically generates secondary documents like: Step, pdf, dxf etc. The created pdf's reside in the Vault and we mail them to our clients. 

At this stage the pdf created in the background is not representing the way it supposed to do because apparently I didden't check in the modified parts. When you ignore the prompted window from Inventor and keep working on that or other components you can forget that you didden't check out those parts. And when you are checking in everything you see a big list and you can easily miss these: " not checked out components" especially when you have a part number generator running. 

I would like to have a function which blocks me from modifying not checked out files. In this way I can assure no data is lost in this way Smiley Very Happy

Greetings,

Mitchel Stottelaar

Message 4 of 10
gjensenMCWXK
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hello,

I am receiving the same message "  but do not use nor have set up 'vault'.  This message just began showing up today on parts and assemblies that I have full control over.  Saving them prompts me to overwrite the files that already exist.

Please help.

gjensen@easylifteqpt.com

gjensenMCWXK_0-1591376519332.png

Message 5 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gjensenMCWXK

Hi! You are not using Vault to manage your files. But, you are trying to collaborate with other users. And, more than one user are editing the same file.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Inven...

I think your choice is to use Refresh command (File -> Manage -> Refresh) to load the file saved by another user. But, any change you made to the file earlier would be wiped out.

Inventor does not allow two users to edit the same file at the same time. The program is not set up for concurrently editing of the same file (different files are fine). You need to use a PDM system like Vault to manage the files.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 10
andrewiv

If you want to make sure that all of your changes get into Vault, I might recommend a couple of things. 

First, you can set your Vault prompts to ask you to check out a file when you edit it.  This is not full proof as anytime you open a file and update it it will ask you if you want to check it out.  A lot of times I just hit the No to All button and then it won't ask me for the same file again.  I suppose if you really want to go to the extreme you could set the default response to Yes and hide the dialog, so it will check out anything that you edit.  I wouldn't do this if you are using revisions or lifecycles in Vault.

Second, before you check in an overall assembly you can switch over to the vault browser in Inventor and filter the files shown to only show files that have edits on them but are not checked out.  This could help you identify any files that you have modified and then check them out before you do the check in.

As far as forcing you to always check out before you change a file, I don't think there is any way to accomplish that, other than the first option, but that could create some additional headaches.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 7 of 10
kapilnbhasme

Hi,

I have clicked "Yes" and checked out assembly too. Then updated both assembly and drawing and checked In.

kapilnbhasme_0-1676380333118.png

Even though, when i am trying to open draawing by downloading from the Vault, It is showing same warning.

I want to open drawing without any warnings.

Tried checking out, update and checked in again and again but got frustastated by this warnings.

Please help me out.

Message 8 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kapilnbhasme

Hi! Let me try understanding the issue better. Are you saying that after you make changes to the assembly, save it and check it in, opening the drawing still prompt you to check out the assembly? Just as an experiment without using Vault. are you still able to reproduce it (dirtying the assembly when opening the drawing)?

If yes, please share the files in zip here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand the behavior better. There should be a logical reason to explain it or there is a bug here.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
pumpkinboss

This is happening to me right now.  I have it checked out.  No one else is using it.  However, it still thinks it is red only.  We are not using vault.

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: pumpkinboss

Hi! Are you using legacy shared project or you are using a different PDM solution? The quick thing I would do is to make sure all critical Windows updates are installed and the user has the proper privilege to write to the folder. Also check if any system process like Antivirus tool or network security tool blocks Inventor.exe from writing to the folder.

Lastly, right-click on Inventor desktop icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check "Run as Admin."

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report