Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2020.4 Update Question

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ethan_howardMMXXIV
607 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2020.4 Update Question

The update download only took a minute to download but the installation seems to be taking forever. The blue gauge has been stuck there for about 20 minutes. Is this normal?

Annotation 2021-05-03 095417.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

It may be coincidental but it seemed to hang when I closed the web tab. Not sure if that would make it hang since the *.exe was fully downloaded. But maybe?
Message 3 of 11

I hit the cancel button on the installation because this is taking too long. I now have a case number with support. The confirmation email says they will get back to me within 2 days. So I'm down until then still waiting for the installation to cancel. If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Annotation 2021-05-03 095417.png

Annotation 2021-05-03 095417-casenumber.png

Message 4 of 11

It was hung, so I ended the task using Task Manager. Restarted my laptop and installation auto-started. Then it failed. I think the problem is, it was trying to download the 32-bit version onto my 64-bit laptop. I'm not sure how to download the proper version since the web site only gave me one option. Here are some screen-captures and I attached the failure log. If anyone can help me with downloading the 64-bit version that would be great. I'll keep looking too.

Annotation 2021-05-03 104725_update_failure.png

Annotation 2021-05-03 104725_computer-details.png

Message 5 of 11

Back up and running on previous version. I still want to be on the latest 2020 update before we go to 2022.

Still looking for the 64-bit edition...

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2020
64-Bit Edition
Build: 373, Release: 2020.3.4 - Date: Fri 10/30/2020

Message 6 of 11
NytCat
in reply to: ethan_howardMMXXIV

Hello Ethan.  I just ran it last week and it did seem to take an unusually long time to complete.  This is on a fairly quick computer with an SSD.  I monitored the task, saw that it was quite active, albeit at low levels and just let it run it's course.  I'm sorry, I can't be more specific, I left the cubicle after determining it was just going to take some time and it was done when I returned.

Message 7 of 11
NytCat

Do you not have the Autodesk Desktop App?  If you do, just update through that.  If you don't... why not?  It'll make this task so much easier.  Just my 2 cents.

Message 8 of 11
ethan_howardMMXXIV
in reply to: NytCat

@NytCat  I'm new to Inventor so I don't know the ins-and-outs. Is this what you mean?

Annotation 2021-05-03 112606.png

Message 9 of 11
NytCat

Yes, that's the one.  Run the update from there and it'll grab the version appropriate to what you have installed.  It's a no brainer.

[edit]  OR, click your avatar in the top right of your browser and click "Product Updates".  If your account is setup correctly, the update will be listed.

Message 10 of 11
ethan_howardMMXXIV
in reply to: NytCat

@NytCat Going to try it after work, this evening. Thank you! We'll talk in the morning (EST).

Message 11 of 11

After hours, I initiated the download via the Autodesk Desktop App, had some supper, did some painting, came back about four hours and it was installed. I opened Inventor, check my version, and voila.

Annotation 2021-05-04 083239.png

 Thank you @NytCat for your help! I will click the ACCEPT SOLUTION button for your response.

Sincerely,

- Ethan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report