Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INventor 2017, thread dialog not opening

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
martinkh7UXQK
324 Views, 6 Replies

INventor 2017, thread dialog not opening

I found old answers that didnt work.

I am running 2019 excel, and 2017 Inventor. My thread.xls is in the right location, saved as a 97-2003 .xls file. My install is on my 😧 drive, since I am running a laptop with only a 256GB primary SSD. The design data is on C: though. Should I save the xls files as new version? Could my antivirus (avast) be blocking cross application communications? I have plenty of swap file space, and 16GB system RAM.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CGBenner
in reply to: martinkh7UXQK

@martinkh7UXQK 

Hello and welcome aboard!

On the Files Tab of you Application Options, do you have the location of Design Data properly mapped?  And does the drive that your Inventor is on have permissions to access that location?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 7
martinkh7UXQK
in reply to: CGBenner

Yes, that is what I meant by right location, it is where a previous thread said it should be, and under files, it points there. I do not know how to make sure my D drive has permission to read my C drive, didn't know that was a thing- BUT- Since drives don't read other drives but programs do, I opened Inventor using the "Run as Administrator" option and then selected "Thread" and for the first time the dialogue box opened. This is either the answer or the workaround. Is there a way to grant this permission so that folks don't have to run as admin?

Message 4 of 7
CGBenner
in reply to: martinkh7UXQK

@DarrenP 

Do you have any thoughts here?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 5 of 7
martinkh7UXQK
in reply to: CGBenner

I didn't see where you pinged for assist, thanks.

Message 6 of 7

Hi! This looks like Inventor is not aware of the existence of Excel. Make sure 2017.4 update is installed (followed by 2017.4.12 update). Another thing to try is to add an environment variable (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables -> "UseLibXL" and set it to 1.

Please note that the variable may interfere with other Excel dependent workflows like Parameter Linking or iPart/iAssembly, and Positional Rep.

Another possibility is to uninstall Excel and reinstall it. Lastly, make sure Inventor 2017 is registered properly (CMD -> "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2017\Bin\Inventor.exe /install").

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 7

Yeah, It was a heck of a lot easier to run as administrator. Not sure you even read that part. Doesn't have a thing to do with excel, it has to do with Inventor popping from one had drive to another without admin rights. I guess since I solved my own problem, I'll accept my resolution.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report