Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 crashes when opening a file / possible registry issue?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
318 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor 2014 crashes when opening a file / possible registry issue?

Hello,

I am currently experiencing the following issue;

Inventor Professional 2014 (Build 222 SP 1 Update 2) crashes when trying to open a file with ‘File -> Open’. The browser opens normally and only crashes if I hoover above a file, doesn’t matter if the file is an ipt/iam/idw or in a local or network folder.

However I can open files from Vault and edit/export/etc without any problems.

If I try and open a file from Windows explorer I get an error message (attachment 1). But if I use ‘Open With’ it shows two seemingly identical Inventor 2014 programs as options (attachment 2), the first one gives the aforementioned error and the second one allows me to open the files normally.

This allows me to work around the issue somewhat.

The weird thing is that the icons of the Inventor related files are different as well; normally ipt’s are depicted as yellow blocks, iam’s are 2 yellow blocks and 1 blue block and idw’s have a small drawing icon. At the moment all the inventor related files are depicted with the orange capital letter ‘i’ the same as the Inventor shortcut icon.

I tried rebooting/reassigning certain links and even a repair install. When running the setup program I get the error that the program couldn’t find the inventor.msi file (attachment 3).
This PC had a sync issue which was resolved by deleting the account and importing an older copy, this might be the cause of the issue. I suspect that Inventor thinks that the program is and isn’t registered at different levels. Which would explain having most functionalities and no start-up issues as well as the sudden crash and the weird icons (not acknowledging the ipt/iam/idw as relevant to software).

Can anyone help me resolving this issue?

Much obliged. Kind regards,

Ing. Joost van den Hout

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@jvandenhout wrote:

This PC had a sync issue which was resolved by deleting the account and importing an older copy, this might be the cause of the issue. I suspect that Inventor thinks that the program is and isn’t registered at different levels. Which would explain having most functionalities and no start-up issues as well as the sudden crash and the weird icons (not acknowledging the ipt/iam/idw as relevant to software).

Yep... I think your assumption is probably correct..

Personally I would just do a complete clean uninstall and reinstall 

Also make sure your user is a local admin on that machine.. as I understand it..user permission issues can cause the icons to not be correct also as you have seen.

You could try the "Inventor Reset Utility" before the reinstall

or reregistering Inventor (I think there is a command prompt command for that.. can't find it now)

But I'd just go right to a complete clean uninstall and reinstall

So try this first..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

if that doesn't work then do this..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hello mcgyvr,

I was dreading doing a full reinstall but luckely the "Inventor Reset Utility" did the trick!

Thanks for the advice.

Kind Regards,

Joost van den Hout

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report