Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INV with open office

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
531 Views, 7 Replies

INV with open office

Just checking to see if anyone has used Inv. and Openoffice.org instead of MS excel with I-parts or anything else. Thanks Les
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Les, From what everyone else has been saying hear, IV NEEDS excel, and will not work with any other spreadsheet program, including Open Office. Maybe that will change with IV9, but I seriously doubt it. Bob S. P.S. Haven't seen you around in awhile, how's everything going? (respond via email) "Les Ankersen" wrote in message news:40cdbfa6_2@newsprd01... > Just checking to see if anyone has used Inv. and Openoffice.org instead of > MS excel with I-parts or anything else. > > Thanks > Les > >
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Just wondering if things have changed with regards to this?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I'll venture a guess and say that with only two people asking about it in as many years, the answer is no. That is not to say that it would NEVER be supported, but that we (the users) would have to make a whole lot more noise about it. If the wheel isn't squeaking, why grease it?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Oh it will.
You think if you order 200 seats of office (openoffice does EXACTLY the same as MS Office, and more) at approx 180 pounds/seat..... (I woulnt mind a bonus like that)
It wont be long, as anyone can contribute to its development, and lots are!
this WILL over take MSOffice.
Year on year its winning awards.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

The only way it would work with Inventor is if it's excel counterpart
is a complete drop-in replacement for Excel's com (future .net?)
automation setup unless Autodesk has an extreme change of direction
(like if they decided to port Inventor to Linux/Unix or even Mac OS X).

designengineer wrote:
> Oh it will.
> You think if you order 200 seats of office (openoffice does EXACTLY the same as MS Office, and more) at approx 180 pounds/seat..... (I woulnt mind a bonus like that)
> It wont be long, as anyone can contribute to its development, and lots are!
> this WILL over take MSOffice.
> Year on year its winning awards.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Bob S. writes:

> The only way it would work with Inventor is if it's excel counterpart
> is a complete drop-in replacement for Excel's com (future .net?)
> automation setup unless Autodesk has an extreme change of direction
> (like if they decided to port Inventor to Linux/Unix or even Mac OS X).

I would welcome that decision. In my view Inventor/Vault has too many
dependencies on some specific other software (Just by coincidence this
other software is all coming form Microsoft.) like Excel, MS SQL
server and Windows.

Matthias
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I can't believe more people have not bellyache'd about this. I have been a long-time Mac User; and can use the most demanding of CAD software out there (including Autodesk Alias); I find theses extra strings attached to Microsoft very disconcerting; and it reminds me why I have stayed away from Windows for so long. Microsoft's Licensing Stratedgy has proven thier disregard for their own customer's; as long as there's a chance to hold them over a barrel.

Since I am not an accountant; or a writer, I have never been compelled to spend money on Microsoft's Office offerings. I am perfectly happy with Open Office for any of the basic needs I may have for these types of programs. Autodesk would do well to open the gates to using Open Office for spreadsheet intergration, as well as maybe others; so that new features that roll out for the new products on the OSX side of things are easily available to any who would like to use them . It would seem that Fusion; and 123D are sinmple steps towards Inventor on Mac: I hope that Inventor does make it to the Mac Platform; and that many of the Legacy "Dependancies" will be thrown to the side with more "open" options. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report