Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imperial units in parts and assemblies

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
282 Views, 3 Replies

Imperial units in parts and assemblies

Hi, I am sure this is a basic thing but as I have always worked in metric I've never had to confront this.... until now.

I've been helping a friend design a shed in timber and he wants to use Ft and inches.  I've used the relevant part and assembly templates but I have all the dimensions and physical properties as inches and square inch.  How can I change this to Ft and inches which is more understandable to him.

Thanks,

Guy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

You can change the default units in part files to feet, but I believe that you will then be showing decimal feet, not feet and inches.  Dimensions may be entered in feet and inches, however, by simply typing (for example) 7 ft + 2.25 in.  Drawings, of course, have more flexibility in dimension display.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.  I can manage the physical properties using the 'document settings' but one area I am struggling with is the fact the lengths in the BOM are purely inches not Ft and inches.  I can change a setting in the parts list to give this format which is good but I wanted to use the balloon function and detail the length of each part in Ft and ".

Cheers,

Guy

Message 4 of 4
dave.anderson

I'm afraid the Balloon can only pull BOM information. In the Parts List you can change the units format, but not in the BOM.

Most customers use a "Cut List" where the Item identifies the part and then that correlates to the Parts List.

You could also add dimensions in ft-inch format if that helps.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report