Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Sweeping Helix

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
758 Views, 11 Replies

Help with Sweeping Helix

Hi guys,

Im trying to do a cut in a drill body by sweeping a ball endmill profile along a wrapped 3d sketch.
The profile path is kinda funky, it goes from a 20deg. to a 0deg. then back to 20 degs for the rest of the flute.

The problem im having is that the ball endmill profile needs to rotate as it sweeps along the 3d sketch.
The only way I get it to follow the path is by choosing "parallel" orientation, but this does not give me what I need.
Coil gets me closer to what I need, but doesn't allow me to change the helix angle as it sweeps, its just a constant.

I need to somehow coil the endmill profile, but following the path i've laid out in the 3d sketch.

Try unsurprising both the coil and sweep independently to see the difference im getting.

inv2009 btw

Thanks guys
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Im having trouble uploading the file.
Any problems with the website today?
Message 3 of 12
JDMather

In your feature browser you will see a red End of Part marker. Click and drag that red EOP all the way to the top of the browser as high as it will go. All of your features will dissappear from the graphics window.
Save the file.
In Windows Explorer right click on the filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Attach the resulting *.zip file here.
You can go back to the original and pull your EOP back down.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

please see attached
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

sorry network problems at our office
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

You will need to create a coil Surface Body feature as previously described.
Create a workplane perpendicular to the beginning of the helix for your Endmill Profile.
You might need a Guide Surface as well.
I see you are on 2009 which makes it a bit more difficult to communicate -
I will try to post a solution sometime tomorrow. Bump this thread back up if someone doesn't respond.

Coil command of a closed profile does not return correct geometry - be skeptical of any "solutions" that propose this technique. Edited by: JDMather on Oct 13, 2009 1:53 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

JD

I do have 2010 on my machine, just not using it full time at the office just yet.
"Waiting on our Cad mangaer lol".

Anyways If you were referring to doing some sort of multi-body operation I am familiar, I also know how to work around using 2009, copy feature as surface and sculpt.

Thanks
Rob
Message 8 of 12
JDMather

No multi-body technique needed. I will try to post what I think you are after when I get a chance.

Is something like this what you are after? Edited by: JDMather on Oct 14, 2009 10:33 AM

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

Or maybe like this? I was a bit confused on the 20° to 0° to 20° is this transition to the second flute or continuation.

If the latter
In the Coil feature you can set the Coil End to transition to 0° over a certain number of degrees and then rotate at that 0° for a certain number of degrees. You would then have some fancy footwork to start a new coil with the opposite start and the end of the previous and finally get the 3D sketch Include Geometry for the path.

Might be easier to get the path with Dynamic Simulation if you have Pro.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

JD

I've managed to go with option 3 "Fancy Footwork" I believe the design criteria of these style drills is impossible to do with just a single sweep and guide curve. I ended up creating each surface piece by piece, stitching, and Sculpt cutting my shape out.

Very difficult geometry for me, but I learned a ton today by fussing with this.
My end goal is to have a custom Ipart with variables for Helix Angle, Helix Length for each section.
Plug n Play drills if you will 🙂

One final question though, if you see my last operation has an error. Not sure I understand why im getting this since it will not allow me to do an identical pattern, my only option was to adjust to model pattern?

On another note I will say I used your motto from AU2008 Neural Format Solids class "Never give up and try anything"

Thanks 4 your help
Rob
Message 11 of 12
JDMather

Are you going to be at AU this year? I would like to show you why I never use Coil (solid) feature for anything serious. The profile is not perpendicular to the helix path resulting in incorrect geometry. (This can be demonstrated with a simple wire spring created with Coil.)

(There is a sick point in Sketch22.)

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I'm trying to get to AU this year, hopefully my employer will fund it again.
I think I understand what your saying about the coil feature, might you have an alternative workflow for doing a proper helical path? Would that involve a 3d Sketch?

Its funny when I roll the eop up and back again I get the sick sketch.
Its fine if I don't roll it back.... hmmmmm.
See attached

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report