Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEA Circular load ("head resting) on top of plate with hole cut out

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
loulouv18
194 Views, 4 Replies

FEA Circular load ("head resting) on top of plate with hole cut out

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate the stress distribution that would be placed on top of this "headrest" plate by a person's head. The hole is made smaller than the dimensions of the 95th female head and I created a sketch of the actual 95th dimensions of a female face. I thought by creating a pressure in the area between the face sketch and the hole, it would simulate the pressure that a face would exert onto the head rest. However, it will only let me apply pressure to the whole surface excluding the hole. I am also unsure on where to apply the constraints. The plate will eventually be attached through a frame and hinge system) on the bottom, and only one side will be in contact with another material. 

Would someone be willing to help me with this please?

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: loulouv18

Hi! I guess you will need to use a sketch or a surface to split the face. Then you can apply load to the particular face accordingly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
loulouv18
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson Shiue, thank you so much for your response! I didn't realize I could split the face so I was able to project the pressure onto that area.

I am still a little unsure on how (and which) constraint to use as it is giving me a warning sign saying that the deformation is much larger than expected. It will be screwed onto a hinging frame on both sides (but not for the entire height) which will then be screwed onto another metal frame. Right now, I am only able to select the edges and circle as constraints - is this also something for which I should use different faces?

Thank you!

Loulou

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: loulouv18

Attach *.ipt file here.

My guess is that you are confused about Pressure and Force.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
loulouv18
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

Attached is the .ipt file. I have now also tried applying the force instead of the pressure and I believe that applying the "pressure" on the area multiplied it again by the area. In terms of constraints, do you think that I have constrained it correctly? Attached is also a sketch (ignore dimensions) of what it will be attached to (so eventually I'll also have to consider the force from the neck laying on top of it).

Thank you!

Loulou

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report