Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploding a pattern

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Yashasvi23481
2034 Views, 10 Replies

Exploding a pattern

Hi All,

I am writing to enquire if there is a way we can explode a pattern in Assembly so we can replace 1 or 2 component in a pattern without breaking relationship between parts. See the screenshot attached of combination of walls and windows n doors. I have used pattern to speed up assembly but now, we need to modify them. How to do without delete and replacing components separately. Can we do it or something to put in ideas?  We can do explode in AutoCAD and modify. 

Regards,

Yash

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi! Inventor does not have AutoCAD-like EXPLODE command. But, it does have a workflow allowing you to make an occurrence of pattern independent. Expand the component pattern nodes -> right-click on the occurrence you want to "explode" -> select Independent.

Does it work for you?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11

Hi Johnson,

I don't get "independent" as an option in 2018. I tried right click on multiple places like actual component and then the occurrence but no option called independent. Not sure if it was after version 2018. 

Regards,

Yash

Message 4 of 11
IgorMir
in reply to: Yashasvi23481

Most likely - you are selecting the very first component in the Pattern. Select the second one --> click RHB and here is an  "Independent"  option.

Cheers,

Igor.

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:

Hi Johnson,

I don't get "independent" as an option in 2018. I tried right click on multiple places like actual component and then the occurrence but no option called independent. Not sure if it was after version 2018. 

Regards,

Yash

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 11
Yashasvi23481
in reply to: IgorMir

Hi Igor,

I did find that option. Thanks. But it doesn't work on all pattern. If there are 3 instances in a pattern or 6, then I don't get independent option. See the jpeg below. some of them I was able to make independent but some I don't get option of independent. 

Thanks and Regards,

Yash

Message 6 of 11
IgorMir

Hi Yash;

No, it doesn't work if you pattern the pattern.

Cheers,

Igor.

Message 7 of 11
Yashasvi23481

Hi Igor,

Is there a work around then or can I put this suggestion in the ideas forum ? Another query on pattern, if you do a 3 x 3 rectangular pattern, can you remove 2 off them randomly (instead of doing sketch driven pattern) just by unselecting particular instance or recurrence ? 

Regards,

Yash

Message 8 of 11
IgorMir

Yash, I don't know. I  had never had any need for ruining the array. You can run a series of tests yourself and let us know your findings.

Cheers,

Igor.

@Yashasvi23481 wrote:

Hi Igor,

Is there a work around then or can I put this suggestion in the ideas forum ? Another query on pattern, if you do a 3 x 3 rectangular pattern, can you remove 2 off them randomly (instead of doing sketch driven pattern) just by unselecting particular instance or recurrence ? 

Regards,

Yash

Message 9 of 11
Yashasvi23481

Thanks Igor.

I will work out how to achieve it and share. 

Regards,

Yash

Message 10 of 11

Still doesn't work in 2023. Even when you start from the patterns inside.

Message 11 of 11

Hi! This workflow is only available for component pattern, not feature pattern. Also, the pattern source component cannot be made independent.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report