Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors with coil

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
WillL84
222 Views, 8 Replies

Errors with coil

I'm trying to make two circles follow a coil, it's a model of a twisted pair wiring. However I keep getting errors no matter what I do. I made a sketch with the two circles then another with the rotation axis (center line). I keep getting the error shown in my screenshot.

I saw another post about making a 3D sketch with a helical curve and doing a sweep instead but that didn't work either, it won't let me select the helical curve as the sweep path.

coil error.png

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
i7-11700K/32GB RAM/Quadro RTX A4000
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: WillL84

Hi

Make sure all sketches are correctly defined and positioned relative to each other.
You can also check out Sweep with the twist option.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Will,

Based on the screenshot, it looks that the coil is probably located very far away from the origin. Or the number of revolutions is too many.

Please share the file here. It should work fine if neither is the case.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
WillL84
in reply to: kacper.suchomski

That makes a deformed spiral though which is strange.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 5 of 9
WillL84
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The origin is  apoint at the center of where the two circles meet and it's where the center line starts from. I did eventually get it to work, I had to space the circle out from the origin to get it to work.

I only did this to calculate the length of wire needed in the twisted pair for a given foot of final product. In this case the model says it's 17.443" of wire for one foot of twisted pair.

twisted pair1.jpg

However I found an online calculator that says it's 14.893" per foot of twisted pair which is strange.

twisted pair2.jpg

I've attached the file as well.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@WillL84 

Is your circle profile perpendicular to the start of the path. (Hint - like the real world.)

JDMather_0-1710849802815.png

JDMather_1-1710849877320.pngJDMather_2-1710849893816.png

...and with unwound end...

JDMather_3-1710850562195.png

JDMather_5-1710850835664.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 9
WillL84
in reply to: JDMather

That might be the issue. How did you get the work plane for the sketch for the wire at an angle like that? I tried double-clicking on the plane but I don't see any constraints or anything for it. I've never messed with surface modeling so I'm just trying to reverse-engineer how you got that to work.

Also if I measure the centerline for the coil (adjusted with my dimensions) I get 12.404", which is a fair bit less than the 14.893" I'm getting from the calculator. I know they'll never be exact, but a couple inches is quite a bit, especially when we need thousands or hundreds of thousands of final product.

I did get it to work though, I replied with screenshots and pictures but I can't see my reply for some reason. My measurement is far over what the calculator suggests, but I think that's because I was measuring along the outside. Come to think of it I don't really even need to model the whole thing - I can probably just make the coil sketch and measure that.

twisted pair1.jpgtwisted pair2.jpg

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 8 of 9
kacper.suchomski

That makes a deformed spiral though which is strange.

This is normal and logical.

I think you mixed up a few aspects:

1. The wire length should be measured along the neutral axis, not the outer edge. Hence the difference between your result and the calculator's.
  2. All you need is a 3D sketch and a helical curve with given parameters. And then measure its length.
  3. In the case of a spring, the circle is the cross-section of the coil, not the cross-section of the center axis of the spring as you tried to model (and made me do :)).
  4. You can obtain a plane perpendicular to a path by clicking the path and then clicking its endpoint.

Kacper Suchomski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@WillL84 

I like to use Surface Coil rather than 3D Sketch Helical Curve as I find it easier to edit the parameters.

I made a mistake in my example in that I selected the outside helical edge rather than the inside helical edge when creating the perpendicular to path workplane for the circle sketch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report