Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing the equation |x/60|^5+|y/60|^5=1

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jso
Observer
278 Views, 2 Replies

Drawing the equation |x/60|^5+|y/60|^5=1

I used wolframalpha.com to isolate Y

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%7Cx%2F60%7C%5E5%2B%7Cy%2F60%7C%5E5%3D1

But Inventor did not accept Y=(-1)^(2/5) (777600000 - x^5)^(1/5)

But it did accept Y=(-(-777600000 + t^5)^(1/5))

But it seems to be dobbelt size and does not mach a picture I was given, I am drawing on top on.

The form won't allow pictures (Authentication Ticket Mismatched)

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jso

Hi! The forums seem to behave flaky recently. I guess it needs a break, Regarding the equation, I  suspect there is a unit-mismatch issue. The 'x' is a parameter with a unit. So, you need to convert it to unitless value like x/1 in or x/1 mm. Inventor equation parser can get confused easily.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
imajar
in reply to: jso

I'm not so sure about those equations that you got from wolfram.  The first one produces an imaginary number in the first term (not going to work with Inventor) and the second one does not appear to be correct. . . probably some higher mathematician could explain the conditions under which they are correct, but my little brain does not comprehend them.  Here is what I do comprehend, and which does work:

My derivation:

Capture.JPG

Which translates into 2 equations, one for the positive side and one for the negative side in Inventor:

Equation 1:  (60^5-((x^2)^(1/2))^5)^(1/5)

Equation 2:  -((60^5-((x^2)^(1/2))^5)^(1/5))

Capture1.JPG

Another solution would be to create x,y points in excel and import those into a sketch and change the import options to fit a spline to the points.

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report